Donate
    To be released in the fall

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    Apple sucks.
    Yeah, my family is all on Samsung Android phones. Neither of my kids have ever asked for an iPhone. I guess the last "life changing" iPhone experience was Face Time. When I asked Elder Child about Face Time, I was told that nobody uses it. Everyone uses Skype. Big rolleyes. So, I had to ask what her friends with iPhones do, and I was told that there were some really good games for iPhones. So, now we have another revolutionary app that nobody gives a crap about. Yes, Apple does indeed suck.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Yeah, my family is all on Samsung Android phones. Neither of my kids have ever asked for an iPhone. I guess the last "life changing" iPhone experience was Face Time. When I asked Elder Child about Face Time, I was told that nobody uses it. Everyone uses Skype. Big rolleyes. So, I had to ask what her friends with iPhones do, and I was told that there were some really good games for iPhones. So, now we have another revolutionary app that nobody gives a crap about. Yes, Apple does indeed suck.
    I guess it depends on who you talk to because I don't know anyone who uses Skype anymore. Don't get me wrong, I know it's still widely used -- I just don't know anyone who is on it anymore. I know tons of people who use FaceTime though. I have a bunch of friends who are originally from the Phillipines and call back home using FaceTime. It's very popular there. Personally I use Google Hangouts (if I use anything at all).

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I have a bunch of friends who are originally from the Phillipines and call back home using FaceTime. It's very popular there.
    That's odd, given the lack of popularity for Apple...
    In fact, about 91 percent (or nine out of 10) smartphones sold in the Philippines run on Android, according to a survey by research firm GfK.
    http://www.zdnet.com/the-philippines...id-7000024072/
    I have used Facetime from wife's iphone and it sucks compared to Skype (shitty picture).
    Facetime ony works iphone to iphone. Skype works between any two compatible devices - from smartphones to TVs.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post

I have used Facetime from wife's iphone and it sucks compared to Skype (shitty picture).
    Facetime ony works iphone to iphone. Skype works between any two compatible devices - from smartphones to TVs.
    Well, that's not exactly the true picture. In the Phillipines there is a Samsung manufacturing center and it's true that Android is very popular. But that's because it's very cheap. For example, there are many people there who barely have anything so they just want the cheapest possible thing (which is usually some form of an Android device). Or it could even be an Android knock-off. Also, a lot of times parents will buy their kids the cheap Android device. But a lot of people there are trying to get an iPhone. In other words, they will use the Android thing for as long as they have to until they can get an iPhone. For us here in the U.S., it's pretty easy to get one. But in other parts of the world, it's very expensive. But it's getting more and more affordable.

So put it this way, yeah true,... on paper Android has way more numbers. But people want iPhone and they want FaceTime. That's what they use. We have a large Filipino community here in the bay area. You might be doing your usual Google search but I'm talking about what real people tell me. I just had a conversation with my good friend here who told me some things about this. Everytime he buys a new iPhone, he sends his old one "back home". A lot of my filipino friends do that. But the thing is, they only want iPhone 4 or higher (because of FaceTime).

Anyway, you don't have to believe me. I really could care less either way. Just telling you my real life experience based on people I know and the community I live in.

As for the Skype information,.. ok. You can use Skype then if that's what you prefer. I just don't see that many people using it anymore. Maybe I'm totally wrong about that. I also don't know that many people who are doing calls on their computer anymore. People do it on their mobile device these days (so FaceTime or Google Hangouts). And yeah, there's a Skype app but who cares? It's just simpler to use the other ones. I mean, using Skype is fine,... it's just no longer my first option.
    Last edited by Webhead; 03-25-2014 at 09:50 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post

I know plenty of people using Skype because it's free, reliable, and very flexible. In fact, I've set up several clients with cheap webcams and Skype as basic security monitors. With Skype, they can monitor their cameras in real time from a cell phone or whatever from virtually any location. You can record video and audio, and that's a function you usually only find with very expensive security systems. There's a pretty short list of security cameras that do audio.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 03-26-2014 at 02:27 PM.