Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Office 365 thoughts?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Office 365 thoughts?

Any opinions on Office 365? What are you all doing for Office stuff at work? Do you plan on sticking with what you have? What about for home use? I'm weighing this all out right now. Especially now that Microsoft has FINALLY made this available for iOS and Android.

My initial thoughts are that I don't want to pay a subscription cost. And it just feels like too little, too late. I also think it's kinda expensive considering there are other options that are just as good that are free.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I could see using it for hosted exchange, small companies can have what the big boys have with respect to collaboration, but without the overhead of managing their own exchange...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    I could see using it for hosted exchange, small companies can have what the big boys have with respect to collaboration, but without the overhead of managing their own exchange...
    True. But it's $150 per/user per/year for something useful. Is that a reasonable cost? And what about the fact that data is stored in the cloud? That's pretty sh*tty imo.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    True. But it's $150 per/user per/year for something useful. Is that a reasonable cost? And what about the fact that data is stored in the cloud? That's pretty sh*tty imo.
    Depends what subscription you are talking about, difficult to say if it is a reasonable cost without knowing as there are so many O365 subs available. You can get a 25 gig mailbox for €40 ($50) per year in Europe for example. Office proplus for €150/$110 per year. That gives you Office pro suite and I think online office and onedrive space, can;t remember exact specs? Pro costs about €450 now to buy outright I think so over three years you have spent the same but spread payments.

As for data stored in the cloud it is all relative, I wouldn't call it shitty, it depends on particular requirements. Some see it as a plus point.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Those $ prices above are me guesstimating the exchange rate from €, I see MS have adjusted them so 150 here is pretty much 150 there, http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/bu...104051403.aspx.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Depends what subscription you are talking about, difficult to say if it is a reasonable cost without knowing as there are so many O365 subs available. You can get a 25 gig mailbox for €40 ($50) per year in Europe for example. Office proplus for €150/$110 per year. That gives you Office pro suite and I think online office and onedrive space, can;t remember exact specs? Pro costs about €450 now to buy outright I think so over three years you have spent the same but spread payments.

As for data stored in the cloud it is all relative, I wouldn't call it shitty, it depends on particular requirements. Some see it as a plus point.
    Do you pay a subscription fee for it?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    For what?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    For what?
    For Office 365. In other words, are you an Office 365 user? If not, what Office software do you use?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    99 bucks a year for 5 devices is a pretty good deal.

I started a thread before the hackers took the old site down.

The only issue I had is you lose some advanced features if you are offline. You basically download a very basic version of office and the rest is done online.

The only reason I cancelled is because I replace my computer every 2 years and 139 for a stand alone version to last me 2 years just makes more sense than 200 which only gets me free upgrades if and when they make them.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    99 bucks a year for 5 devices is a pretty good deal.

I started a thread before the hackers took the old site down.

The only issue I had is you lose some advanced features if you are offline. You basically download a very basic version of office and the rest is done online.

The only reason I cancelled is because I replace my computer every 2 years and 139 for a stand alone version to last me 2 years just makes more sense than 200 which only gets me free upgrades if and when they make them.
    So you're using the standalone version of 2013 right now?