Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Office 365 thoughts?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    99 bucks a year for 5 devices is a pretty good deal.

I started a thread before the hackers took the old site down.

The only issue I had is you lose some advanced features if you are offline. You basically download a very basic version of office and the rest is done online.

The only reason I cancelled is because I replace my computer every 2 years and 139 for a stand alone version to last me 2 years just makes more sense than 200 which only gets me free upgrades if and when they make them.
    Overall, I guess I would say that Office 365 isn't a terrible deal, though I think some smaller business are probably better serviced by buying Office on disk and running it until it fails to meet their needs. The cost of Office for consumers, and students is pretty inexpensive, but I'd still maintain many of those folks would be just fine with Libre Office. One of the concerns I have with software as a service, is that I can't shake the notion that the publisher is likely to suddenly shove a railroad tie up my wazoo.

I think we've already seen this happen with Adobe's pricing of Creative Cloud. Last summer, Adobe ran a deal where a student could get a discounted subscription for only $24.95 a month, but the program required validation of eligibility, and Adobe ran it in the summer. very funny, Adobe. Right now, they have a deal until the end of the month where you can subscribe to Photoshop and Lightroom for $9.95 a month, and then after the contract expires, the subscription goes up to the going rate if you choose to stay. So, I bought Elder Child a subscription, since she's got some Photoshop experience and might have some fun. I also told her to that this would most likely only be a one year experience.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Overall, I guess I would say that Office 365 isn't a terrible deal, though I think some smaller business are probably better serviced by buying Office on disk and running it until it fails to meet their needs. The cost of Office for consumers, and students is pretty inexpensive, but I'd still maintain many of those folks would be just fine with Libre Office. One of the concerns I have with software as a service, is that I can't shake the notion that the publisher is likely to suddenly shove a railroad tie up my wazoo.

I think we've already seen this happen with Adobe's pricing of Creative Cloud. Last summer, Adobe ran a deal where a student could get a discounted subscription for only $24.95 a month, but the program required validation of eligibility, and Adobe ran it in the summer. very funny, Adobe. Right now, they have a deal until the end of the month where you can subscribe to Photoshop and Lightroom for $9.95 a month, and then after the contract expires, the subscription goes up to the going rate if you choose to stay. So, I bought Elder Child a subscription, since she's got some Photoshop experience and might have some fun. I also told her to that this would most likely only be a one year experience.
    See, that's the thing. I like the idea of buying the software and using it until I feel that I'm ready to move on. With the new subscription/cloud model, you might pay, then never use the software. What a waste of money! Or you might pay, then forget to renew and at the critical moment when you really need it, it stops working. Then the fact that files are saved to the cloud is great but what if i don't have internet access one day? Part of me really wants to like this but I'm having a hard time accepting this whole thing of renting software.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    To answer your earlier question webby, we have internal use rights licenses through the partner cloud essentials program so we migrated to o365 about three months ago to take advantage.

What you say about paying a subscription then not using it doesn't really make sense to me. It is up to the person to extract value from theIr purchase. You can also buy the normal version then not use it. Buy a car and not use it, etc. That doesn't mean the car dealer is at fault.

And if you forget to renew then you should be better organised, again that is down to the person who purchases in the first place.

It takes a lot of overhead away for us supporting clients so I like it and the clients we have using it now also like it but it is certainly not the solution for everyone.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    It takes a lot of overhead away for us supporting clients so I like it and the clients we have using it now also like it but it is certainly not the solution for everyone.
    That's certainly one of the more interesting observations I've read about the program. All the same, don't you still find yourself getting a lot of calls where you have to explain things like "And this is the File Menu."? I'm curious, because it seems that most of the service issues I deal with are caused by the least capable 1%, and you can't escape them.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    To answer your earlier question webby, we have internal use rights licenses through the partner cloud essentials program so we migrated to o365 about three months ago to take advantage.

What you say about paying a subscription then not using it doesn't really make sense to me. It is up to the person to extract value from theIr purchase. You can also buy the normal version then not use it. Buy a car and not use it, etc. That doesn't mean the car dealer is at fault.

And if you forget to renew then you should be better organised, again that is down to the person who purchases in the first place.

Right. I guess what I'm trying to say could be compared to renting a movie. Let's say it costs $20 to buy a movie. If you buy it, you can keep it. Watch it 5 years from now if you want. But it doesn't matter because you have it. But if you rent it, then maybe it costs a little bit less. Say $5. But you only get a 24 hour window to watch it. An emergency comes up, you didn't get to watch the movie and now you're out $5.

Same thing here. In most cases, you can purchase an "app" or some piece of software and use it whenever you want anytime in your life. This is how we've always done it for decades. With this renting model, you pay and you get a limited window of time to use it in. I have a feeling I'm in the minority here but I think that model sucks. I don't want to have to think about it. I just want to buy it and know that I have it.

As for putting the burden on the user to be better organized,.. I have to disagree with that. There are other Office suites that don't put that burden on me. I just get it and I have it and that's it.

That's cool you are running it at work. Sounds like it's all working out. But where do all the files get saved? Is there an option to save work to the users local computer? Or does it all stay in "the cloud"? Or do you keep it all on a server that you manage?

I think what I'm trying to figure out in my mind is if there's a reason to try to stick with Microsoft or just leave them in the rear-view mirror. As a user at a company, I think it's an easier choice. But as an average user, I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost of staying onboard with them going forward. I hate the idea of being tethered to subscription fees if I can avoid it. I have so many monthly bills already. Just hate the idea of adding another one to the mix.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    In most cases, you can purchase an "app" or some piece of software and use it whenever you want anytime in your life. This is how we've always done it for decades.
    When have you used Norton Commander last time? Or NAV 2000? What about Windows 95? Office 5? Do you think you'll ever use them again in your life time?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    douche1.jpgOwn it. Embrace it. It is you.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PC View Post
    Own it. Embrace it. It is you.
    I was going to reply something else, but I'm not going to be trash like you.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I was going to reply something else, but I'm not going to be trash like you.
    You don't need to reply something else, you show your trashy side weekly.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    You don't need to reply something else, you show your trashy side weekly.
    I've never done personal attacks against anyone, so kindly go screw yourself.