Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Office 365 thoughts?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Ok, I guess this isn't the place to have mature conversations. Nevermind. I tried at least. Oh well.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    You keep saying that files are stored in the cloud, but i don't think it's exclusively only in the cloud, right? in that you can store data anywhere you want, they just offer a cloud for additional flexibility/convenience.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    You keep saying that files are stored in the cloud, but i don't think it's exclusively only in the cloud, right? in that you can store data anywhere you want, they just offer a cloud for additional flexibility/convenience.
    Yes, you can put the files where you want.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Ok, I guess this isn't the place to have mature conversations. Nevermind. I tried at least. Oh well.
    I think it's great that there's still a forum online where you can say what you think even if it isn't always politically correct. The occasional flareup of temper, or rude remark is just normal human behavior. Personally, I detest the "corncob up the ass" mentality that dominates most forums. I'm happy to help, but if a forum demands that I be rigidly professional without a trace of humor or whimsy, they should be writing me checks.

Anyway, in general, I certainly tend to agree with you that the subscription model for software has some pitfalls; primarily because once you are locked into the model, they can ratchet up the price a bit at a time until you suddenly find yourself paying a small fortune for a subscription that once was cheap. On the other hand, a subscription gets you a product that's always up to date.

What I think we are going to see, is most software vendors increasingly pushing the subscription model, and pricing is likely to remain fairly low to make software piracy unattractive. Then, at some point, we're going to find that a lot of business software will only be available as a subscription. When that happens, unless there's a good open source alternative, I expect the subscription rates might become a little more painful. It's almost a classic supply and demand curve.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    Yeah, I'm basically trying to ask and discuss this because I don't know. I don't use this product and wanted to get thoughts and comments from those that do or know something about this. Hence the posting of the discussion topic.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Yes, you can put the files where you want.
    Thank you. That's good to know. The way they market it, it seems like it's just cloud based everything.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Anyway, in general, I certainly tend to agree with you that the subscription model for software has some pitfalls; primarily because once you are locked into the model, they can ratchet up the price a bit at a time until you suddenly find yourself paying a small fortune for a subscription that once was cheap. On the other hand, a subscription gets you a product that's always up to date.

What I think we are going to see, is most software vendors increasingly pushing the subscription model, and pricing is likely to remain fairly low to make software piracy unattractive. Then, at some point, we're going to find that a lot of business software will only be available as a subscription. When that happens, unless there's a good open source alternative, I expect the subscription rates might become a little more painful. It's almost a classic supply and demand curve.
    Those are some interesting thoughts. There are definitely some pros to renting software. Like you said, it's always up to date which is good.

For me here at my company, I'm on Windows 7/Office 2010. It can't stay that way forever though so I'm trying to get an idea of what the future looks like in order to plan ahead. In the past, it's always been the same recipe. New version of Windows comes out, let it mature, then upgrade. New version of Office comes out, let it mature, then upgrade. And both of those things didn't happen very often. So to do it was a big deal. We spent time planning for it, made a budget for it and made it happen. Like moving from Windows XP to 7. Or moving from Office 2003 to 2010.

So I'm trying to figure out what comes next after Win7/Off2010. Is this software renting thing going to catch on? (Just throwing out some rhetorical questions). Are people embracing this? Will it only be popular in a corporate environment but in the personal world people will start using other things? What is the future? What is the next step? Because honestly, I have zero excitement right now about upgrading my company to Win8.1/Office2013-365. And I can't imagine it's going to get any better. I feel like the market is asking me to give up some control. And I don't like that.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Maybe this will be a little less cryptic: I have to create yearly goals where I work. I want to know if I should be including some kind of company-wide upgrade or if I should start thinking about budgeting for that. Thing is though, I don't know anyone who wants Windows 8 or Office 365. Most people have a sour face when I even mention either of those things. And with support for XP coming to an end, and with Microsoft wanting people to adopt Windows 8 so badly,... it's just a matter of time before 7/2010 is phased out. I want to be ready for that when it happens.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    M$ lowered the price on corporate licensing of 365. Definitely worth looking at if you replace your software every couple years to stay up to date.

The only thing I have noticed is that there have not really been any big breakthroughs in Office in the last couple releases. Other than patching many many many many many security leaks, I don't see anything must have in the near future.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    M$ lowered the price on corporate licensing of 365. Definitely worth looking at if you replace your software every couple years to stay up to date.

The only thing I have noticed is that there have not really been any big breakthroughs in Office in the last couple releases. Other than patching many many many many many security leaks, I don't see anything must have in the near future.
    That's another thing is cost. Since my company started small (and is still small), we've basically just bought a license as we've needed it over the years. So the cost wasn't really noticed. So now I'm in a spot where cost has been done and everything works. And with that, trying to convince management to move forward and spend $12+ per user/per month for Office 365 is definitely not an easy sell. If we were still going by the old model, then I could upgrade things one at a time like I did before.