Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: iTunes

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, Apple really needs to overhaul that whole thing and make it usable through the web browser. That would be a start. Having to install that giant clunky bloatware thing is ridiculous. Although these days I guess it really doesn't even matter where you get the music from or what you play the music on. All the stores and apps are all about the same.

I will say this though (going off-topic a bit here),... but the Google Play store saved my butt a few weeks ago. I put off watching The Walking Dead when the second half of S4 started. I figured I could just marathon them on-demand through the Comcast app. Well little did I know that they only keep the most current 3-4 episodes. So by the time I went to start watching, E1 and 2 were not on there. And torrent is not very good lately. Seems like the whole torrenting thing is kinda becoming less and less now that service providers have full power to throttle you as they desire. But anyway, so I went to my Apple TV and figured I could just rent those 2 episodes for a couple bucks each. Nope! Not in the iTunes store. Lame!!

So last effort, I went to my laptop and googled, "walking dead google play". I didn't have much experience with Google Play but I figured why not give it a try. And sure enough, there is a Google play app for the iPad and the episodes were available through the Play store. $2 each. Done!! Paid for them on the laptop, they automatically appeared on the Play app and a couple hours later I was caught up with E1-2 and then I could then switch over to watching the rest through on-demand on the TV.

Did something similar with the latest season of Portlandia. Google Play is now my go-to place when I need a reliable place to get something I need to watch.

So for TV watching,...
    -1 for Apple
    +1 for Google
    Last edited by Webhead; 04-11-2014 at 07:14 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    And torrent is not very good lately. Seems like the whole torrenting thing is kinda becoming less and less now that service providers have full power to throttle you as they desire.
    tvunderground.org.ru (they require registration now but no biggie - you get all the torrents you could imagine)
    Bittorrent via the TOR network https://www.torproject.org/ or use a free VPN like www.vpnbook.com (annoyance for pptp is that they change the pass every few days so you have to update).

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    tvunderground.org.ru (they require registration now but no biggie - you get all the torrents you could imagine)
    Bittorrent via the TOR network https://www.torproject.org/ or use a free VPN like www.vpnbook.com (annoyance for pptp is that they change the pass every few days so you have to update).
    Meh. It's just too much of a hassle. Besides,.. I'd rather just be a paying customer and contribute to the economy anyway. I mean, it's not that big of a deal to pay a couple bucks to watch a TV show or movie.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I refuse to pay for something that is given away for free (or for which I have already paid with my TV subscription), but maybe that's just me...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I love the Apple products but I hate ITunes with a passion.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    I love the Apple products but I hate ITunes with a passion.
    Totally agreed. I used to sort of defend iTunes over the years but we're at a point now where they have to make some changes there. That software is so old and bloated it's ridiculous. That said, I hardly ever use it anyway -- but in the rare times I do use it, it's always something I don't look forward to.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I refuse to pay for something that is given away for free (or for which I have already paid with my TV subscription), but maybe that's just me...
    Ya know, it's 2 bucks and no hassle. The content creators make some money, I contribute to the economy, everyone wins. The service provider gives the customer a window to watch stuff. It's basically a rental service. When we pay for Xfinity service, we are basically paying to rent content. We aren't paying to own the content. You get X amount of time to watch the content. If you don't watch it in that time, then you have to rent it again. Which I'm fine with.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    we are basically paying to rent content. We aren't paying to own the content. You get X amount of time to watch the content. If you don't watch it in that time, then you have to rent it again. Which I'm fine with.
    No, you can record it and watch it years later. You do own the content, just not necessarily the right to re-distribute it. Sure, the MAFIAA would want people to believe that TVs should have integrated credit card readers, but that's another story.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Oddly, Younger Child likes to buy CDs and rip them.
    I prefer this as well. I miss the days of music stores that had racks and racks of music on different mediums. I miss album art work and liner notes. I miss bonus tracks and freebies.

When QR put out their last album, they gave away all kinds of stuff with it. It was kind of neat.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    No, you can record it and watch it years later. You do own the content, just not necessarily the right to re-distribute it. Sure, the MAFIAA would want people to believe that TVs should have integrated credit card readers, but that's another story.
    On a very technical basis, you might be right. But I think it's more of a rationalization that you are making rather than an accurate statement. The problem is, when you "download", you are contributing to a much bigger problem. The content creators lose out big time every time we download without paying. Now, I'm not trying to sit here sounding holier than though. Obviously I've downloaded too. Everyone has. And how can you blame us? These mega-corps have over-priced everything for years now. But I think we are now starting to reach a point in time where the industry is making a good attempt to make these easy to get and for a reasonable price. It seems evident that the business and the consumer are trying to meet in the middle and that behavior should be encouraged so that we can continue making things easy to get and bring the prices down even more over time.

I like this article. It raises some questions that are important and makes some great points.

link: http://www.wisegeek.org/is-it-legal-...sion-shows.htm

Copyright protection laws are not always caught of up technology, so it's difficult to say, generally, whether you can legally download television shows with any sort of finality. Some legal analysts suggest that consumers who so are clearly in violation of existing copyright laws. Others equate the practice with videotaping or digitally recording broadcasts for later personal viewing. Currently, the most common methods used to download programs are very similar to file-sharing systems already being challenged in courts around the world. There are also legal ways to download TV, usually by purchasing individual episodes or full seasons from a company that has the legal right to redistribute the programs.

The technology to download television shows — legally or otherwise — is widely available, and sales of the equipment that allow digital recordings have not been outlawed. Digital video recorder (DVR) devices allow users to record and save television shows, and some even allow them to be transferred to a computer or burned to a DVD. These devices may also allow the user to pause live television and skip commercials on recorded programs at the press of a button. In at least the US, DVRs fall under the same protection as video cassette recorders (VCRs), with the user agreeing to not distribute the recorded material commercially and do all viewing in a private home.

With the advent of streaming video and broadband Internet services, however, the legality of downloading television shows has become less clear in many cases. Producing a primetime comedy or drama can be a very expensive venture for network executives. Creative artists such as writers, directors and actors must be compensated for their skills, and technical expenses must also be recouped. While networks recover many of these expenses through the sale of advertising, sometimes the profit margin is surprisingly thin. When a TV show is downloaded from a file sharing site, the people who put their time and money into it are usually not compensated.

There is also the question of copyright, which is designed to establish legal ownership of the show as a creative work. Whoever owns the copyright to the show has the right not only to make money from the program, but also to reproduce it and transmit it. When someone copies a program without the owner's consent and makes digital copies available, they are usually violating the copyright.

In at least the US, it is legal to use a DVR to download television shows for private viewing. In a copyright law sense, it may be illegal to download shows from any source not authorized by the legal owners of those shows to distribute that content. A person can legally download TV programs that are offered through authorized services licensed by the owners. Most of the major broadcast networks in the United States also now have websites that stream selected episodes of shows to viewers.
    Last edited by Webhead; 04-14-2014 at 08:14 PM.