Hey all, I need some help. Been trying to work through this issue for the last 4 hours and have been hitting a brick wall. I installed Windows 8.1 (yeah, I know...), everything seems great apart from the new interface annoyances, except that I just noticed that all my old photos are stretched, vertically. Started looking at video, yeah, it's stretched too. Looked up a test pattern thing with a circle and square and yeah, things are stretched vertically, it's everything. It's not bad, until I want to look at or edit a photo or something at which point it's just intolerable. Issue is, I can't fix it so far and I'm pulling my hair out.

Example: Ever watch a video with the aspect ratio or the crop that is incorrect? The stuff on the screen looks stretched one direct or the other, and by messing with the program you view it with, you can correct it by changing the aspect ratio or the crop settings. I don't think those are available in Win8, going to go look for some way to edit those next.

Tried this so far and other info:

• I checked my screen resolution and it's set for 1920x1080, but the monitors native resolution is 1680x1050.
  • Set the resolution to 1680x1050 and it, well, it pushes the screen size in on both sides in such a way that I have vertical black bars on my monitor. This is not unusual for a CRT, and you would just change the screen width manually, but for LCD it's weird. I thought to try changing settings for the monitor, but the geometry settings are disabled on my monitors on screen display.
  • The screen is actually crisp and clear at 1920x1080, and blurry on any other setting.
  • Changed drivers for the monitor to one I found on a forum that had the same issue with Win7 (wow did MS make it hard to install a digitally unsigned driver). No luck there.
  • Found ATI/AMD drivers for the card and installed catalyst control center, no help there either.
  • Note: The display works perfectly in XP, haven't tried Win7 from this platform, but the forum I got the monitor driver from says they have the same issue (I cannot confirm).
  • Tried running photo/video programs in a different compatibility mode, no help, this is a display issue, not compatibility.
  • If I change my videos aspect ratio to 2:21:1 they look OK, but this is no solution and doesn't help with photos and doesn't help the overall issue.
  • Monitor is attached to PC via DVI cable, no option for VGA or something else, doubt this has anything to do with the issue.

Below are the items I've got in my poor old Desktop.
My monitor is a SCEPTRE X22WG-1080P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824112009

My video card is a ASUS EAH4870 DK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121291