Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win8 Display Stretched - Odd Aspect Ratio

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Exactly. I mean, during the install you can choose to login as a local admin instead of logging in with your microsoft account. But still, the clunkiness remains. Now take the experience you just had and try to imagine implementing that in a business network with active directory. I mean, I'm sure it can all work out if enough effort is put in, but it's so ridiculously crappy that why would anyone want to?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Exactly. I mean, during the install you can choose to login as a local admin instead of logging in with your microsoft account. But still, the clunkiness remains. Now take the experience you just had and try to imagine implementing that in a business network with active directory. I mean, I'm sure it can all work out if enough effort is put in, but it's so ridiculously crappy that why would anyone want to?
    how about this for even worse. I am starting to roll out windows 8. My pcs are coming loaded with it and include the free win 8.1 upgrade option. OK so I'm building my image. I upgrade it, go through all that and then as I'm ready to capture the image I attempt to run sysprep as I always do before imaging. well guess what? I can't run sysprep because my install is now an upgrade install. I really thought windows 8.1 was more of a service pack and I could always sysprep after installing windows xp service packs or windows seven service packs etc....but apparently 8.1 is considered a full fledged OS upgrade....so I'm kinda stumped as to what to do....I'd like to have the 8.1 features but as far as I know the only way for me to get it is through the store which means is through the upgrade which means that I'm then not able to sysprep machines and run the risk (ableit small) of having AD problems with duplicate SIDS..... :sigh:

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    how about this for even worse. I am starting to roll out windows 8. My pcs are coming loaded with it and include the free win 8.1 upgrade option. OK so I'm building my image. I upgrade it, go through all that and then as I'm ready to capture the image I attempt to run sysprep as I always do before imaging. well guess what? I can't run sysprep because my install is now an upgrade install. I really thought windows 8.1 was more of a service pack and I could always sysprep after installing windows xp service packs or windows seven service packs etc....but apparently 8.1 is considered a full fledged OS upgrade....so I'm kinda stumped as to what to do....I'd like to have the 8.1 features but as far as I know the only way for me to get it is through the store which means is through the upgrade which means that I'm then not able to sysprep machines and run the risk (ableit small) of having AD problems with duplicate SIDS..... :sigh:
    Oh man! What a nightmare. I feel your pain. When I experimented with Windows 8 about a year ago, I made a conscious decision that this was not going to be part of my companies network. I'm sticking with 7 for as long as possible.

As far as what you are dealing with, I think there is an option to download the ISO of 8.1. Then once you get that, maybe you can slipstream the Update 1 into it? And then do sysprep after that?

Paul Thurrott has an article about how to download the ISO for 8.1. I've tried this and failed in the past. Maybe you'd have better luck? http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...-8-product-key
    Last edited by Webhead; 04-22-2014 at 06:51 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I swear it didn't give me the option to set up a local user during the update to 8.1, or maybe I just missed it. It looked like the option was just missing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    but apparently 8.1 is considered a full fledged OS upgrade....
    Ain't that a load of horse poop??? I mean, WTF? I had to get a free code to enable my upgrade to 8.1. I hope that charging for screwed up service packs does not become their model in the future.

As a side note, I was reading that the desktop PC market has been hurting in the last year, sales down a full 25% with people stating that it's all due to tablet sales, etc. IMO, this is wrong, it's due to M$ not allowing people to buy Win 7 on PC's anymore (which is why companies like HP and others have told M$ to stuff it, and they will sell Win7 again). I don't get the M$ obstinate attitude. It's like every other OS they try and cram a OS that few want down our throats, "But, ME is amazing", "But, Vista is amazing, we don't care if XP still works amazingly well", "But, Win8 is amazing, we don't care if Win7 still works amazingly well". Is it just me? Anyway, I like 8, except for all the bugs that I can't fix. I swear, I am am the king of bugs...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    I swear it didn't give me the option to set up a local user during the update to 8.1, or maybe I just missed it. It looked like the option was just missing to me.
    happened to me too. I actually think the trick is to click create new account and then there's a small bit of text at the bottom that says "continue using existing account" or something like that. It's hidden pretty well but I did find it on this last win8 machine I upgraded to 8.1.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, it's easy to miss. The option to do it is written in tiny words. I think they would really prefer you sign up for a Microsoft account and use that for all your stuff. They want you on outlook.com for email and onedrive.com for files. All these giant media conglomerates are fighting to keep you walled into their proprietary media space. Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    By the way, the HTG just wrote an article recently about the "dying PC market". He claims it's not dying and he makes some good points: http://www.howtogeek.com/183381/are-...not-heres-why/

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    By the way, the Windows 8 thing looks something like what is described here: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...in-windows-81/

See at the bottom where it says, "Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended)"? Yeah, that's how you do it...