Thread: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: You're just now realizing what Donald Sterling is?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Exclamation Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: You're just now realizing what Donald Sterling is?

I could only echo these eloquent statements...but they are perfectly aligned with my feelings on this matter. I can't stand to hear everyone calling for this guys suspension over a private conversation that is completely unrelated to his team or business practices...

What bothers me about this whole Donald Sterling affair isn’t just his racism. I’m bothered that everyone acts as if it’s a huge surprise. Now there’s all this dramatic and very public rending of clothing about whether they should keep their expensive Clippers season tickets. Really? All this other stuff I listed above has been going on for years and this ridiculous conversation with his girlfriend is what puts you over the edge? That’s the smoking gun?

He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?

Shouldn’t we be equally angered by the fact that his private, intimate conversation was taped and then leaked to the media? Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way? Although the impact is similar to Mitt Romney’s comments that were secretly taped, the difference is that Romney was giving a public speech. The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime. We didn’t steal the cake but we’re all gorging ourselves on it.

Make no mistake: Donald Sterling is the villain of this story. But he’s just a handmaiden to the bigger evil. In our quest for social justice, we shouldn’t lose sight that racism is the true enemy. He’s just another jerk with more money than brains.
    http://www.caintv.com/kareem-abdul-jabbar-youre-just

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    zactly.
    not so blue

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I agree. 2 wrongs don't make a right. Sure the owner guy is a racist sleazoid. But it's equally offensive that people are secretly recording each other and leaking things to the public. Not to mention,... for as scummy as his comments are,... doesn't he have a first amendment right that is protected by the Constitution? The Constitution is supposed to protect ALL free speech not just the parts some people agree with. So there are a lot of problems going on here.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The NBA code of conduct doesn’t give a sh!t about the constitution. They are fining guys for sh!t all the time that is outrageous, and unfair…but if you want to play, you gotta pay.

The flip side to all of this is that this entire thing was a ploy to anger fans in order to devalue the team and force an uncontested sale of the team. Heard Barkley say the other day that Sterling bought the team for $15million, and it’s now worth over $700million. Rumors were initially that Magic Johnson wanted to buy the team, but he’s publicly stated he’s not interested. Still could be a conspiracy to drive the price down on the team. But all in all the only people that will suffer from a boycott are those with menial jobs that work for the team in the front office, the concessions/arena staff, and of course the players and team staff.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I will totally not be shocked when Johnson ends up as the owner.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    I will totally not be shocked when Johnson ends up as the owner.
    Or Oprah