Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you kidding me?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Are you kidding me?

Okay, I know I do not get my hands dirty much anymore so nothing I am going to say will surprise all of you but . . . why the hell has Microsoft not released SP2 for Windows 7? I'm working on a new (well, new to her) computer for my daughter and I am installing Windows 7 Ultimate for her. The initial install included SP1 already. Now, Windows Update has told me there are 152 updates available to the tune of 760 meg! Of course, this will be only the start. Once I install these there will be updates for the updates. And then, updates for the updates of the updates. Good grief, just come out with SP2 already.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Okay, I know I do not get my hands dirty much anymore so nothing I am going to say will surprise all of you but . . . why the hell has Microsoft not released SP2 for Windows 7? I'm working on a new (well, new to her) computer for my daughter and I am installing Windows 7 Ultimate for her. The initial install included SP1 already. Now, Windows Update has told me there are 152 updates available to the tune of 760 meg! Of course, this will be only the start. Once I install these there will be updates for the updates. And then, updates for the updates of the updates. Good grief, just come out with SP2 already.
    yep...it's pretty ridiculous. Updating after an install can easily take half a day.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I don't think the one-off in a household environment is an issue, and I would imagine that in a corporate environment there are somewhat updated images and/or a WSUS server to deploy the updates quickly so that downloading only takes a couple of minutes.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I don't think the one-off in a household environment is an issue, and I would imagine that in a corporate environment there are somewhat updated images and/or a WSUS server to deploy the updates quickly so that downloading only takes a couple of minutes.
    Even at that, it would be nice to have a SP2 to slipstream into the base install/image.......less updating after the image. Even with WSUS, etc. there's still a lot of install, reboot, install, reboot.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    They want you to buy windows 8.1

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yes. Basically they have put all their efforts into making Windows 8.1 Update 1 work at all costs. In the eyes of Microsoft, nothing existed before Windows 8.1 Update 1. Support for XP ended of course and I think Vista is about to end and I won't be surprised if support for 7 ends within the next year or so. They want everyone onboard with 8.1 because from a business point of view, it doesn't make sense for them to maintain 58 different operating systems. Maybe if we are lucky, they will throw us a SP2 bone at some point. But heck, if we had that, we'd have no incentive to upgrade to 8.1 which is counter-intuitive for them.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Yes. Basically they have put all their efforts into making Windows 8.1 Update 1 work at all costs. In the eyes of Microsoft, nothing existed before Windows 8.1 Update 1. Support for XP ended of course and I think Vista is about to end and I won't be surprised if support for 7 ends within the next year or so. They want everyone onboard with 8.1 because from a business point of view, it doesn't make sense for them to maintain 58 different operating systems. Maybe if we are lucky, they will throw us a SP2 bone at some point. But heck, if we had that, we'd have no incentive to upgrade to 8.1 which is counter-intuitive for them.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Vista extended support is April 11, 2017. Windows 7 is Jan 14, 2020.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Even at that, it would be nice to have a SP2 to slipstream into the base install/image.......less updating after the image. Even with WSUS, etc. there's still a lot of install, reboot, install, reboot.
    Last time I installed a win7 - few weeks ago - it only took 2-3 reboots. Meh. Installing all the drivers and software takes way more reboots...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    In a corporate environment with fairly consistent hardware, applicable images, and the WSUS server, it is probably not a big deal. How about the mom and pop shop doing service for residential and small businesses? That has to be a huge pain in the butt.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    In a corporate environment with fairly consistent hardware, applicable images, and the WSUS server, it is probably not a big deal. How about the mom and pop shop doing service for residential and small businesses? That has to be a huge pain in the butt.
    I have a setup that allows me to service 10 computers at a time. I need that many because of the update time. I might be working on 5 or 6 at a time, but the other ones are there to get all the updates before I release them back to their owners.