Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Death of the minivan

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Death of the minivan

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...ontinued.html/

I was listening to NPR on the way home today and they called this the next nail in the coffin of the dying minivan. I think it is too bad sales have been dropping so much for minivans. We have a 2008 Toyota Sienna and I absolutely love it. It holds seven people which can come in pretty handy when either my parents or my in-laws are visiting. If we do not need space for extra people, the seats can be quickly switched to accommodate a bunch of stuff. While SUVs are more cool, I think the lowly minivan beats it for practicality.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It's natural evolution. Really, how many people need the inconvenience of a big minivan that eats significantly more gas to commute to work alone?
    If there is a need for a minivan once or twice a year it's much easier and cheaper to rent one.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    It's natural evolution. Really, how many people need the inconvenience of a big minivan that eats significantly more gas to commute to work alone?
    If there is a need for a minivan once or twice a year it's much easier and cheaper to rent one.
    That's very logical but judging by the number of big gas guzzlers on the road, I think a lot of people really do not care about the price no matter how much their complaining may suggest otherwise.

Plus, that's another nice thing about our minivan. I am guessing it gets around 25 miles to the gallon. That's not too bad.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Think about the target market for a minivan - family of 6+ who can afford a new car and take many long trips together and who prefer a somewhat-ugly looking car compared to a SUV (Pilot and Highlander for example have 7 seats as well). Not that much of a market, probably not enough to justify the expense of producing the model.
    I was originally thinking about a 7-seat car, but realized that there would be a need for one few days a year maybe. A minivan was not in the books from the start due to the "ugly" factor.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, I kinda like the increased cargo area of a minivan. My wife has a Ford Escape for a corporate vehicle and it hauls a fair amount of cargo, but it's a little awkward. It's much better as a people mover. Still, we bought a used one for Elder Child to take to college. Personally, I'm old school. I still have a '91 GMC Suburban. Hardly ever drive it, but it only costs me $35 a month in insurance, and when you have to move some bulky stuff, it's pretty handy. Wife wants to put in a raised bed garden (if our temperatures ever get stable) and so I've got to haul lumber, 7 bags of topsoil etc, and I can do it in one trip.

Of course, first I'm going to have to unload the 6 Tektronix solid ink printers and the two LJ 4050s I've got stored in the vehicle.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Caravans are awesome. My g/f's was really nice until the kid totaled it.

Stow and Go seating, dual power doors...I am not a minivan guy but when my truck was broke and we had to hit the home depot, that thing was a god send. Not to mention the room for 2 teen boys one both sides of 6 foot tall. I would do a van like that over an SUV 9 times out of 10.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Think about the target market for a minivan - family of 6+ who can afford a new car and take many long trips together and who prefer a somewhat-ugly looking car compared to a SUV (Pilot and Highlander for example have 7 seats as well). Not that much of a market, probably not enough to justify the expense of producing the model.
    I was originally thinking about a 7-seat car, but realized that there would be a need for one few days a year maybe. A minivan was not in the books from the start due to the "ugly" factor.
    New mini vans are significantly cheaper than a SUV that will seat and/or haul the same. At least the Dodge was. I think the problem is marketing. For some reason everyone thinks they need all wheel or 4 wheel drive, which they don't, but they happily pay extra for a drive train they will never use.
    Last edited by Larommi; 05-13-2014 at 12:04 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    With 3 kids, we really prefer a mini-van. Now that the twins are out of the huge car seats and just use a booster seat, all 3 can fit in the back of my Buick Century, but it's not quite as comfortable for them. Last time we took the car on a long trip, there was much bickering going on that wouldn't have happened with them in a mini-van. I know there are suv/crossover vehicles with a 3rd row, but they seem to be less available in the used car market.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Wife wants to put in a raised bed garden (if our temperatures ever get stable) and so I've got to haul lumber, 7 bags of topsoil etc, and I can do it in one trip.
    We just put in a 16 x 5 ft raised bed using cinder blocks. They were $.94 at Menards which was cheaper than buying wood and building a raised bed. You can also use the holes to plant herbs/flowers.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Hardly ever drive it, but it only costs me $35 a month in insurance, and when you have to move some bulky stuff, it's pretty handy.
    $20 and you can rent a HD truck or van. No worries about extra insurance, registration, maintenance. And you can load far more in one trip...