Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death of the minivan

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    On the possible bright side, hopefully this means a big slash on minivan prices to unload inventory that isn't moving because I'd definitely buy one. Our family fits fin in our crossover kia rondo, but we could always use a bit more space and when we do take a long trip we have to rent a vehicle. Last year we went with a big SUV and it costs nearly as much to rent for the week as our beach house did.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    We just put in a 16 x 5 ft raised bed using cinder blocks. They were $.94 at Menards which was cheaper than buying wood and building a raised bed. You can also use the holes to plant herbs/flowers.
    http://www.menards.com/main/building...cks/c-5647.htm
    not so blue

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    My escape can fit a surprising amount of cargo. And still gets 30Mpg, Unless I Hoon it and then I can drop it to 18MPG
    Last edited by Overdrv; 05-13-2014 at 02:29 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, I was thinking they were going to be more, but in the store a 8x8x16 inch block was $.94.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking they were going to be more, but in the store a 8x8x16 inch block was $.94.
    That's a good price. I paid more than that for them a few weeks ago when I needed some, I think it was handy to $2 at Lowes!
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    $20 and you can rent a HD truck or van. No worries about extra insurance, registration, maintenance. And you can load far more in one trip...
    Last time I rented a truck for a day, I don't recall getting it for $20 bucks. Anyway, owning the Suburban means its always there when I need it, even if I have to unload it first, and the cost of insurance and tags is chump change.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That's way cheaper than I can get them up here in the Texas Panhandle at Lowe's or Home Depot, but it matters not. Wife wants wood around her beds, and it's wood she shall have. I learned a long time ago that you can be right, or you can be happy in marriage. This sort of dispute is isn't worth waking up at 3 A.M. to discover that some mysterious intruder has shoved a styling brush up my butt.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Last time I rented a truck for a day, I don't recall getting it for $20 bucks. Anyway, owning the Suburban means its always there when I need it, even if I have to unload it first, and the cost of insurance and tags is chump change.
    I think the $20 is a base rate like uhaul does. Then you pay a higher per mile rate + gas as well.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    I think the $20 is a base rate like uhaul does. Then you pay a higher per mile rate + gas as well.
    No, it's $20 for the first 75 minutes (they actually reset the clock when you leave, not when you start loading). There is no per-mile rate and you fill the gas you use. Renting for 4 hrs turns into some $45 IIRC. I rent the HD trucks every time I need to carry something big, including stuff for which I don't want to/can't use my own car (ex make a run to the dump). 4 out of 5 times I stay within the initial 75min...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    No, it's $20 for the first 75 minutes (they actually reset the clock when you leave, not when you start loading). There is no per-mile rate and you fill the gas you use. Renting for 4 hrs turns into some $45 IIRC. I rent the HD trucks every time I need to carry something big, including stuff for which I don't want to/can't use my own car (ex make a run to the dump). 4 out of 5 times I stay within the initial 75min...
    That's cool. Where are you renting them from?