Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Death of the minivan

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Maybe, Bubba, but what's a new truck payment plus insurance? Spent about $300 in parts for the Suburban last year, and did all the labor. Last night my wife left the lights on in her Escape, and when I jump started the vehicle, it took me a couple of minutes just to figure out which anonymous black box under hood housed the battery.
    I don't really need a truck right now, but I know what you are saying. I paid 20 and change for the truck 10 years ago. I will be getting roughly half that back, I cannot pass up the opportunity. the longer I keep it the less it is worth and I could use the money right now.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I don't really need a truck right now, but I know what you are saying. I paid 20 and change for the truck 10 years ago. I will be getting roughly half that back, I cannot pass up the opportunity. the longer I keep it the less it is worth and I could use the money right now.
    I think NADA's guide says my old dog is worth about $1100, so not really much incentive to unload it as long as it stays cheap to keep. But, yeah, if I could get ten grand out of it, I'd have it up for sale today!
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I think NADA's guide says my old dog is worth about $1100, so not really much incentive to unload it as long as it stays cheap to keep. But, yeah, if I could get ten grand out of it, I'd have it up for sale today!
    LOL, I tried to look up the "value" of my 87 Toyota pickup and it falls under "classic car" pricing
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I still have my 2006 Chrysler Town & Country minivan with 199,000 miles on it. It still runs great. I've had to replace the alternator a couple of times and the EGR valve (right next to the alternator). Since the engine is a side-mounted V6, it was a PITA but it was doable. I have used it to haul 910 pounds of metal scrap to the recycling center in one trip and the owner/operator was surprised that I could put that much weight in there while some guys can't even put 500 pounds in their truck. I'm going to hold on to it as long as I can as I really hate having monthly car payments.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    I still have my 2006 Chrysler Town & Country minivan with 199,000 miles on it. It still runs great. I've had to replace the alternator a couple of times and the EGR valve (right next to the alternator). Since the engine is a side-mounted V6, it was a PITA but it was doable. I have used it to haul 910 pounds of metal scrap to the recycling center in one trip and the owner/operator was surprised that I could put that much weight in there while some guys can't even put 500 pounds in their truck. I'm going to hold on to it as long as I can as I really hate having monthly car payments.
    I just got rid of our 2003 Caravan earlier this year. We had held onto it for trips to the beach, etc. but it just wasn't worth keeping anymore. Anyhow, I put an alternator on it before as well and yeah, it's a bit of a pain. Once I got smart and hit up the interwebs and found that removing the passenger tire was the way to go though it went a lot smoother.

I hauled couches, stacks of lumber, etc. in mine as well. It's really no different than a truck with a cap other than the rounded shape can be a hindrance.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    LOL, I tried to look up the "value" of my 87 Toyota pickup and it falls under "classic car" pricing
    Life's weird. It had been maybe a year or so since I looked up current value of the Suburban. Just for grins, I looked it up this afternoon, and Clifford is now a "Classic Car" and the value has risen a lot: http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Ca...Utility/Values Frankly, this makes me want to laugh until I wet myself.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Saturday my youngest boy (9) and I replaced the waterpump on the wife's 99 Grand Caravan. It was pretty cool showing him auto mechanic stuff. He was genuinely interested in it. I put the van on ramps and asked him to slide under, on a creeper to find the leak. He was totally stoked when he was able to spot it right away. Then we watched a 4 minute youtube 'how-to' and went to work. Basically, I cracked the bolts loose and let him finish it off. Dude was lovin' playing grease monkey w/ Dad. He even go to go to the counter at AutoZone and check out the new part to make sure it was the same as the old one we took off.
    not so blue

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    Saturday my youngest boy (9) and I replaced the waterpump on the wife's 99 Grand Caravan. It was pretty cool showing him auto mechanic stuff. He was genuinely interested in it. I put the van on ramps and asked him to slide under, on a creeper to find the leak. He was totally stoked when he was able to spot it right away. Then we watched a 4 minute youtube 'how-to' and went to work. Basically, I cracked the bolts loose and let him finish it off. Dude was lovin' playing grease monkey w/ Dad. He even go to go to the counter at AutoZone and check out the new part to make sure it was the same as the old one we took off.
    I think that's very cool. My daughters are definitely not into auto repair. On the other hand, they are both into knives and guns. We shoot a bit with our neighbors who have a membership in our local gun club. Kiddos have experience with both rifles and handguns, and a good role model in my neighbor's wife who competes in bench rest shooting, and can consistently shoot a 5 round half-inch group at 200 yards. Personally, I'm a horrible shot, and I probably couldn't blow off my own foot with a hand grenade. Used to be a good archer, though.

But, Elder Child is champing at the bit for a concealed carry permit that's still 2 years away for her. In the meantime, I guess I'll soon be buying her a gun that she can shoot at the range, even if she can't legally carry it. Since she's my child, I don't expect that to stop her. While I like Brownings and Glocks, I expect I'll buy her a Sig Sauer, because I don't think anyone produces a firearm with a more reliable action.
    WIFFLEBALL!