Thread: Visual Studio 2012 question?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Visual Studio 2012 question?

I came across something that I'm a little bit stumped on. At work, I have a guy who is developing test system software using Visual Studio 2012. So his software is done and runs but he wants to remote debug it. So for example, he wants his software running on maybe 5 test systems. As the software is running, it will send debug information.

After some research, I discovered that I can do "remote debugging". But that requires the remote debug tool to be installed on his laptop and VS would have to be installed on each test system. But he doesn't want VS installed on each test system.

Is there a way around this? Is there a way the software can run and send debug info to a remote system? Or heck, maybe to a local shared folder? Anybody ever come across anything like this before? Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.

My thought was to make run a command in the background that appends in real-time to a text file that is stored in a shared folder. That way he could open the text file in a command window and see the bug info in real-time. Although I'm not sure how I'd set that up. And I'm not sure what command could be used to do that.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Nevermind, once again I work on a problem, can't figure it out, post here and then find my answer two seconds later.

Turns out I had this backwards. Visual studio is on one main computer (maybe a laptop or something). Then on the test systems would be the running application + remote dubugger tool. Then you simply launch VS, connect to a process and done! Easy. I guess my understanding of it was backward previously.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Cool, just be aware of the risks when you open the ports if not using Windowze auth - anyone could in theory connect and attach to any running process...
    Also remote debugging is for stepping through the code, generally for figuring out why something is NOT working or for inspecting data that would not be the same on your dev machine. It is also fairly slow. If the software needs to send info continuously then logging to a database is the way to go - log4net http://logging.apache.org/log4net/ is a sweet logger, trivial to implement for any programmer and logging verbosity can be adjusted via the app.config

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Awesome. Thanks! Yeah, I'm hoping the open ports won't be a problem. I explained to him that it's dangerous to run that way. So I'll be keeping an eye on things. Once he gets comfortable with this I think we'll start paying more attention to the authentication. Maybe I should setup remote monitoring of his remote debugging. LOL.