Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SDXC memory?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

SDXC memory?

Do any of you have any experience with SDXC memory cards?

So I have been saving money and got enough together and bought a Macbook Pro 13". I'm officially an Apple Sheeple now. But that's for another topic. For now, this computer is great and it has a slot for an SDXC memory card. I saw a 256GB on Newegg for about $100. Are these cards reliable though? Have any of you seen a case where one failed and lost all the data? I want to get one because I think it would be cool to store my data on it instead of doing Box. Just tired of logging in, etc. But I'm afraid that if I commit to this card, then it's going to fail. I will back it up of course but this is more about me not trusting the reliability of these things.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm also thinking of maybe a SSD external drive with USB 3.0. That would actually work too (but might cost more I'm thinking).

Basically just trying to think about how to expand storage that can be removed easily, is portable, reliable, fast, solid state.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Didn't you say in the past that nobody needs removable storage anymore? You know, like many Android devices have? Just sync with the icloud...
    On the other side look at reviews.. there are good ones and bad ones. Do you NEED 256G of removable storage?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    LOL. Yeah. I thought about that while I was writing this and I was thinking, "I hope nobody remembers about me saying memory cards are lame".

But I've changed my mind. I think I need a memory card. I just want something reliable though. As for googling and reviews, etc.... I can throw a rock and find a different opinion each time I throw it. After some googling, it seems that there is a higher failure rate than I would've hoped. But I was just wondering what some real-life experience says about it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well buy a memory card from a reliable retailer NOT EBAY. Alot of fakes where they take a 8GB and Flash it to read 128 or 256.

What about a 128 or 256 USB stick ?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    Well buy a memory card from a reliable retailer NOT EBAY. Alot of fakes where they take a 8GB and Flash it to read 128 or 256.

What about a 128 or 256 USB stick ?
    Yeah that might work. Or maybe I should just get an external drive that is SSD with USB 3.0. Oh wait, they make a 256 USB stick? That would be great!

It turns out that I forgot I had an 8GB SDHC card and tried it out last night. Works great. I also forgot that I've been using this card for the last 5 years on my Dell laptop as a "ReadyBoost" drive. It's never had a problem and never failed. So I guess maybe they are reliable drives if you take care of them.

I wonder what the difference is between HC and XC? Looks like I got some Googling to do.

Oh and yeah, I would never buy something like that from ebay. I like Newegg for stuff like that.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Yeah that might work. Or maybe I should just get an external drive that is SSD with USB 3.0. Oh wait, they make a 256 USB stick? That would be great!

It turns out that I forgot I had an 8GB SDHC card and tried it out last night. Works great. I also forgot that I've been using this card for the last 5 years on my Dell laptop as a "ReadyBoost" drive. It's never had a problem and never failed. So I guess maybe they are reliable drives if you take care of them.

I wonder what the difference is between HC and XC? Looks like I got some Googling to do.

Oh and yeah, I would never buy something like that from ebay. I like Newegg for stuff like that.

No experience with SDXC, but if it were me, I would get something that is more universal like the external drive. No sense roping yourself into something you can only use in certain situations when you can get something that you can use in more places.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    No experience with SDXC, but if it were me, I would get something that is more universal like the external drive. No sense roping yourself into something you can only use in certain situations when you can get something that you can use in more places.
    True. Good point.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    SDXC cards need a system that supports them whereas a external drive would intrinsically be supported by most systems and would have a distinct speed advantage

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    On the subject of memory...anyone have any experience with Komputerbay ram? I'm looking for 2x4gig (8gigs) of pc5300 or pc6400 preferably and they seem to be cropping up quite a bit.