Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern brake rotors

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Modern brake rotors

When I was younger and I drove cars from the 70's and 80's, I had to watch my brakes carefully because if I went too long, the pads would eventually wear down and grind into the rotor and damage them. Not any longer. Today, it seems like it is just a mater of time before the rotor warps. Turning it true again may or may not be an option because the rotors are thinner today. I understand making them thinner makes them lighter and cheaper but I question if it is worth it. On my 70's and 80's cars I probably could have turned my rotors twice before they became too thin to turn again. Today, depending on how warped they are, you may not even be able to turn them once.

I took my wife's Sienna in today because the rotors were warped. If they had turned them the remaining rotor would have been too thin to still be within spec so they replaced the rotors and pads. The rotors and pads had only been on the car for about 35,000 miles. Oh well . . .

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I generally replace the rear rotors every other pad change and the fronts every pad change. I used to turn them but the local yokels charge about 75% of the cost of new ones to turn them so I just replace them.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I generally replace the rear rotors every other pad change and the fronts every pad change. I used to turn them but the local yokels charge about 75% of the cost of new ones to turn them so I just replace them.
    I think newer cars are, overall, much more reliable than older vehicles, but there are a lot of "gotchas" that go into the equation. Routine maintenance costs are much higher, and there isn't much work that a shade tree mechanic can do anymore. I don't automatically have an issue with disposable parts, but in general, I'd rather pay a bit more cash up front for hardware that can be repaired and doesn't need to be replaced. Dream on.

We bought my wife's last corporate vehicle, a Ford Escape, for Elder Child to take to college, and it only has a single key. Without that key, the vehicle is essentially inoperative. There aren't even external door locks. Additional keys are about $120 a pop. So, I feel your pain.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I wish I knew how to work on my own brakes. The dealer is sooooo expensive. I have to do my brakes soon and I'm not looking forward to the cost of it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The cost to turn here is higher than the price of new ones, last time I checked the shop wanted $40, I got new ones for something like $30... Of course when they do the work they charge double for parts so it may make sense...
    I change the rotors with the pads, which is about every 2-3 years. Not worth having to take the brakes apart again just because the rotors are worn but the pads are still good and do all the work again in 1 year when the pads wear.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Rotors and pads. rotors and pads. I usually replace
    not so blue

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I wish I knew how to work on my own brakes. The dealer is sooooo expensive. I have to do my brakes soon and I'm not looking forward to the cost of it.
    Last time I got something from my Honda dealer the whole thing was about $150 on top of "just parts" - which isn't a bad deal if you don't have the tools and knowledge.
    Parts for a Honda Accord are about 200-250 depending on quality.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Pads and rotor every second time unless there is pulsing in the pedal or obvious signs of wear to the rotor. It's an easy job that anyone who can remove a tire should be able to handle.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post

It's really simple. I once changed pads and rotors on a Corsica in a hotel parking lot in about 15 mintues using borrowed tools from the AutoZone next door. you should try to learn it. watch a you tube video and buy a wrench set. save hundred$
    not so blue

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    It's really simple. I once changed pads and rotors on a Corsica in a hotel parking lot in about 15 mintues using borrowed tools from the AutoZone next door. you should try to learn it. watch a you tube video and buy a wrench set. save hundred$
    Just make sure you jack the car up properly. It's a huge pain in the ass to try and re-jack up a car that you just dropped when the wheel and brake rotor is gone !!