Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern brake rotors

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    Just make sure you jack the car up properly. It's a huge pain in the ass to try and re-jack up a car that you just dropped when the wheel and brake rotor is gone !!
    Experience?

I have not done that but yeah, that would suck.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    It's really simple. I once changed pads and rotors on a Corsica in a hotel parking lot in about 15 mintues using borrowed tools from the AutoZone next door. you should try to learn it. watch a you tube video and buy a wrench set. save hundred$
    Pretty much. Once the tire is off, you just have to remove the caliper, which on any vehicle I have owned is 2 more bolts.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Just had to replace all four of mine after a brake job. They turned all 4, didn't do the trick, replaced the fronts a week later, better, but still pulsation after highway speeds. They turned the rears again, still pulsation...replaced the back rotors, stops like a dream. I've never seen rear rotors warp until this car.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I don't do my own brakes, it's just not worth the hassle since I have nowhere to really do them. I don't bother having the rotors turned down anymore as it don't save near what it used to years ago.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Not tailgating and not hitting the brakes hard often will make them last a lot longer. Properly adjusted proportioning valves will help. Newer brake pads are not the same as the old asbestos pads of old and do not seem to last as long. I have had mixed luck with ceramic pads, but when I come down hard from very high speeds in my Camaro (ok, I admit I like to have fun), I expect to replace them often along with the rotors. Rotors are heavy and are an easy place for manufacturers to save weight and increase fuel efficiency.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    I don't do my own brakes, it's just not worth the hassle since I have nowhere to really do them. I don't bother having the rotors turned down anymore as it don't save near what it used to years ago.
    A set of front rotors for the Suburban is about $76, so that makes turning somewhat unattractive. A lot of stuff I find I can do in our circular driveway. All the same, our high school autoshop class will still do a bunch of work free, if you supply the parts. I like to encourage students.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Last time I got something from my Honda dealer the whole thing was about $150 on top of "just parts" - which isn't a bad deal if you don't have the tools and knowledge.
    Parts for a Honda Accord are about 200-250 depending on quality.
    Thanks, I have an Accord. It is getting to be time to replace the the brakes. Do they still sell "loaded calipers"?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    If anyone needs auto parts, Advance Auto Parts has a great online coupon available.
    Use HD31 at checkout, $50 off a $125 order. And free shipping...
    Just ordered the parts for wife's brakes (4 rotors + front/rear pads) came to $107 after tax and free shipping...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That's an impressive coupon. Any limitations? Only good for certain brand parts or something?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    That's an impressive coupon. Any limitations? Only good for certain brand parts or something?
    Didn't see any limitations. I was about to use the 15% + $25 towards future order they were advertising right on their website and I wondered if there were better coupons available on the net... First google hit got me this one.