Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't figure out this script Excel thing

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    So I tried this OrangeHRM thing and it's great. But the open source version of it doesn't have enough features. I have to get the paid version in order to get the features we need.

I explained all this to my boss this morning and he had a look on his face that seems to imply I'm being lazy about this. I told him that 2 Excel experts I know (the one at work, and referring to CeeBee's comments here) said basically the same thing -- that it *can* be done but it's going to be a lot of work -- and probably wouldn't even work very well, if at all. He seems to think I'm wrong and that it shouldn't be that hard.

Anyway, I gotta figure something out now.
    Last edited by Webhead; 06-12-2014 at 03:29 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I wonder what your Excel nerd thinks about this project.
    I linked him the thread...if he has time he may look at it. I think he likes stuff like this.
    Last edited by Larommi; 06-11-2014 at 04:49 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I linked him the thread...if he has time he may look at it. I think he likes stuff like this.
    Man, if he has an easy way to do this and can point me in the right direction, then I would forever be in gratitude. Because it's looking grim on the open source HR software thing.

Thanks by the way.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    yeah CeeBee is right on here. If it was just going one direction (the boss enters a new goal and it shows up in the users file) then it could be done, but in order for the users to write back to the master file, they have to have permissions to do so which means they can see everyone's stuff and also potentially screw it all up.

I *Suppose* the master file could run an import of some kind from every single one of the user files but that seems like a crap ton of work for something that most likely should be done with a database anyway....

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    yeah CeeBee is right on here. If it was just going one direction (the boss enters a new goal and it shows up in the users file) then it could be done, but in order for the users to write back to the master file, they have to have permissions to do so which means they can see everyone's stuff and also potentially screw it all up.

I *Suppose* the master file could run an import of some kind from every single one of the user files but that seems like a crap ton of work for something that most likely should be done with a database anyway....
    One thing I'm trying to figure out is how do other people do this? Do they just pay for software? Or do they develop their own software? This seems like a pretty common thing that would need to be done.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Man, if he has an easy way to do this and can point me in the right direction, then I would forever be in gratitude. Because it's looking grim on the open source HR software thing.

Thanks by the way.
    Here is his response.

The Excel Nerd’s Reply:

The problem as you described it isn’t that hard. Or, I should say, the problem as defined by the boss isn’t that hard. The reason the other two guys (and now, me) say it will be a lot of work is because we all know how quickly data can become mangled or irrelevant when it is stored in two separate places.

Example so the boss can understand the complexity: Say that two Employees both update their records at the same time. EmpB pushes save on his document: your code triggers to upload his commentary, or percent complete, or whatever is being tracked. The code tries to fire. What the code doesn’t know is that EmpA pushed save a second earlier on a different computer, and his copy of the code already has the boss’s file open for syncing. Best case scenario: EmpB’s code throws an error. Worst case: They both somehow gain write access to the boss’s file, and write over each other (unlikely for technical reasons, but a great way to describe the problem-slightly more likely is that the boss’s file becomes corrupted, and is lost). Now, your code for copying lines needs some way to know it failed, and check the records in both copies of the document to compare with one another. That throws more complications. It escalates from there… imagine if the boss’s code was trying to push something out at the same time one or more employees were trying to push something back!

CeeBee brought up deleting records, changing records, and finding duplicates (say that somehow the code fires twice). The biggest problem was indirectly pointed out by CeeBee… Security. This opens files up to all sorts of tampering, whether deliberate or accidental. As a nerd, I’d say “no way” to this.

If he insists on using Excel, your best bet is to have him have to open a specific employee’s spreadsheet and add the comment there. Maybe put shortcuts to everyone else’s spreadsheets in a folder he can access. You’ll still need to open up some security bits for him to be able to open other’s files. You can write some code to go and pull all those employee’s spreadsheets into one master for when he wants to review, but it will still be clunky. You’ll have to work out some error checking for when an employee has his file open for editing (Excel gets picky about that).

Other options: Are you using Outlook? If so, what about using the “Assign Task” feature? It is short on options, but I’m not clear on what he wants other than being able to assign tasks and see the progress. Do you have Microsoft Access in your Office suite? You’d have to learn how to make a simple database (not very complicated), and a savvy user might still be able to get into other people’s records, but the synchronization of data would be instant. Given that he wants a homebrew option, Access would likely be perfect. (I notice 74AD pointed that out (database) while I was writing this, as well as the idea of having the boss’s file pull everyone else’s.)

I’m afraid that’s all the time I can put into this right now. I’d say Access, or some open source option is your best bet. I’ve not researched it, and cannot recommend any specific software, sorry.
    He had mentioned MySQL and learning that...

this is all beyond me.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    if it's task management type stuff, this might be an option. I've used it on a linux server before
    www.taskfreak.com

here's a demo
    http://demo.taskfreak.com/login.php?...4tjeu1lj73ot14

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Ok, to the Excel nerd, I would like to say thank you very much for your input! That is really helpful.

As to the task I've been describing, it turns out the boss doesn't need feedback afterall. He is fine with the information going one way (from his master file to the employees file). So that takes away at least some of the mangled data, complexity and security issue potential.

As to the idea of using tasks, that is brilliant! Except for the fact that we are using PST files (POP). No Exchange servers here (again because cheap) which means no calendars, todo lists, tasks or any other useful Outlook features.

As to 74AD, yeah man. The database way to go does sound promising. Although if you guys think I'm a n00b with writing the code I'm even worse when it comes to databases. My experience is that I can setup a LAMP server, setup users on MySQL and create databases and permissions and then that's where it ends. The software (i.e., Wordpress) usually takes over from there.

As to 74AD's last post with links,... thanks! I'll take a look. But you now got me thinking in a different direction. The word "goal" is stuck in my mind. But if I open that up to things like "tasks" then all kinds of other options open up. Excellent idea! That TaskFreak looks promising. I'll throw it on my server and see how it goes.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I am sure he is monitoring this thread but if not, I will relay the message.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I am sure he is monitoring this thread but if not, I will relay the message.
    Thanks man...