Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tipping, so how does it work over there then?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    As far as when to tip service people (like maids etc) my sister has always employed the reverse strategy to mobile. Tip well early to ensure spectacular service during your stay. Kind like how you tip a bartender at a crowded bar well early in the night to ensure you get served promptly and not watered down drinks.
    That I also understand and is a great tip in it's own right, thanks.

I think many of us tip because we're afraid not to. There was a guy I used to work with who totally changed my opinion on tipping and stopped me being afraid of saying no tip to poor service. He got into some right old fights with people who expected a tip, the worst being a taxi driver who took him from Las Vegas to the airport without saying a single word, then kicked off massively at the airport and threatened to drive away with his luggage unless he tipped.

From this thread I'll definitely look after the waiting staff but think that'll be it unfortunately.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I think, in some cases leaving a shitty tip is worse than no tip at all. If the waitstaff is expecting $10, for example and they are complete dickbags to you, leave them $1.00 instead. That's just a plain old insult vs. no tip.
    not so blue

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Restaurants I have been told I am an overly generous tipper. 15% minimum, upwards of 30% if one criteria is met. My beverage must never run out. It is probably my biggest pet peeve because it is the one thing the server has complete control over. I always round up and never leave coin, nor do I take coin back.

Other services depend on cost. I typically round up in multiples of 5 or 10 dollars depending on the cost of the service.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Restaurants I have been told I am an overly generous tipper. 15% minimum, upwards of 30% if one criteria is met. My beverage must never run out. It is probably my biggest pet peeve because it is the one thing the server has complete control over. I always round up and never leave coin, nor do I take coin back.

Other services depend on cost. I typically round up in multiples of 5 or 10 dollars depending on the cost of the service.
    Right. We've had meals where the food was not very good or cooked wrong, etc. and I still tipped the waitress well because they did their job very well.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Usually I just double the tax. Seems to be an easy to remember general rule. If they are really good, I'll add a little more. Or if they are terrible, maybe a little less. Something like that.

Also I stumbled upon this chart a few weeks ago: http://lifehacker.com/this-tipping-i...-ho-1562841207

But besides all that, have fun on your trip!!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Usually I just double the tax. Seems to be an easy to remember general rule. If they are really good, I'll add a little more. Or if they are terrible, maybe a little less. Something like that.

Also I stumbled upon this chart a few weeks ago: http://lifehacker.com/this-tipping-i...-ho-1562841207

But besides all that, have fun on your trip!!
    I stick with 15% because its what I always heard was standard and because it's super easy to calculate. You take 10% and then add half of that again, easy enough to do quickly in my head.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    In many restaurants the tip is "included" in the bill for 6-8+ people (18% typical in the area). Make sure you take a look. Also don't be surprised to see a sales tax of ~8.5% in NYC tagged on top of the bill.
    We usually tip in the same range, unless the service sucks in which case I decrease it to 15-10-5%, up to the point where may leave no tip at all (only happened a couple of times).

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    In many restaurants the tip is "included" in the bill for 6-8+ people (18% typical in the area). Make sure you take a look. Also don't be surprised to see a sales tax of ~8.5% in NYC tagged on top of the bill.
    We usually tip in the same range, unless the service sucks in which case I decrease it to 15-10-5%, up to the point where may leave no tip at all (only happened a couple of times).
    I hate having the tip included in a group bill. Pisses me off to no end. I tip for good service and usually 15% or better, I do not tip to be ignored. Minimum wage is much higher for employees here and is going to go way up over the next few years, read $15. That's right, work at Burger King in Seattle and the wage will be $15 soon.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by jitBob View Post
    I hate having the tip included in a group bill. Pisses me off to no end. I tip for good service and usually 15% or better, I do not tip to be ignored. Minimum wage is much higher for employees here and is going to go way up over the next few years, read $15. That's right, work at Burger King in Seattle and the wage will be $15 soon.
    I make more than that but not much.

Let me see if I can remember how this goes. "Ding, fries are done"

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    I stick with 15% because its what I always heard was standard and because it's super easy to calculate. You take 10% and then add half of that again, easy enough to do quickly in my head.
    I think 15% is less than tax in CA