Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tipping, so how does it work over there then?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I tip 15-20% for wait staff in restaurants (except at fast food places where I give nothing). At a Chinese buffet, they get 10% as long as they keep my drink full and ask me if I like the food. I have only once ever had a reason to take a taxi. I probably just rounded up to the next dollar. At nice hotels, the staff can be aggressive about helping you with your bags in order to get a tip. If it is convenient, I bring in the bags later. If not, I firmly tell them to go away.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    I stick with 15% because its what I always heard was standard and because it's super easy to calculate. You take 10% and then add half of that again, easy enough to do quickly in my head.
    Yeah, I've always been more of a 20% guy. Doubling the tax gets you to 20% pretty easily.

Although now that minimum wage is going up in many cases, maybe the tip won't need to be as big anymore.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    As most people have been saying, 15% is the norm. Waiters much prefer folding money; not change. Depending on how long your stay is at the hotel, leave a couple of dollars per day, again ahead of time, for the cleaning staff. If only staying one night, screw 'em! As for taxi rides, some people prefer no conversation at all! Having the driver say nothing could be a good reason for a good tip; but that's just me. If you're one of those people who needs to talk all the time just to break the silence, then say so: "I hate silence." The driver can't read your mind.

But to really p|ss off the staff at restuarants, leave ONE PENNY! I guarantee that will get some attention.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Take 15% on top of everything and send it to me.

In all seriousness 15% is standard - 20% if service is good

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post

But to really p|ss off the staff at restuarants, leave ONE PENNY! I guarantee that will get some attention.
    Thats like pulling out your wang and slapping the waiter in the face with it

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Somebody told me once before that one penny was for bad service and two pennies was like a "universal sign" or something that you thought the service was good but didn't have enough money on you to tip with.......maybe that was total BS, it's just something I heard once.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Somebody told me once before that one penny was for bad service and two pennies was like a "universal sign" or something that you thought the service was good but didn't have enough money on you to tip with.......maybe that was total BS, it's just something I heard once.
    Well I guess not. Just googled this and it looks like there's all sorts of theories on it. Nevermind.....
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well the tipping went well. What I found was that service in America was MUCH better than here in the UK, in every single place we went. Staff were attentive and gave great advice, completely unlike what I'm used to here. We basically tipped 15% everywhere we went.

Most taxis in New York and Vegas were great and were tipped. The guy in New York who took us to the airport even asked us if we wanted a coffee for the journey as there was a great deli on route. That simply doesn't happen here EVER. One taxi in Vegas quite obviously took us the long way, (a journey we'd done previously), and didn't get a dime off us.

The maids in NY and Vegas we tipped early and then had great service from. The doorman of our NY hotel was a fantastic help to us throughout our stay and we looked after him when we left with what I hope was a very generous tip.

I appreciate the tips in this thread as it helped greatly, but what I found was the service all over in NYC and Vegas was 200% better than any of us are used to in the UK and so tipping came naturally anyway. I'm envious of your service, we could learn a lot over here from it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    In America, alot of tipped positions pay minimum wage or below. Plus, while it is taxable, it is not provable so a good service person can make a lot of money. Bottom line either you provide good service or you go hungry.

Glad you had a good trip.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The NBC news last night reported that some poll shows that Americans are the most generous tippers in the world.

So...yay us.