Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tipping, so how does it work over there then?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    The NBC news last night reported that some poll shows that Americans are the most generous tippers in the world.

So...yay us.
    The one thing that can really drive me nuts and leave a smaller than normal tip, even after the service was good, is waiting and waiting for my check.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    In other countries it's considered rude for a server to hand over a check before the customer asks for it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    The one thing that can really drive me nuts and leave a smaller than normal tip, even after the service was good, is waiting and waiting for my check.

Oooh, I never thought of that. I am hung up on the drink thing.

Last night the g/f and I went to Applebee's. I had to ask, then more or less beg for a refill on my drink.

I still tipped but it was bare minimum. I was so frustrated. The steak was also show leather tough, which is really rare for Applebee's.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Deity View Post
    In other countries it's considered rude for a server to hand over a check before the customer asks for it.
    I'm rarely shy about asking for the check at the end of a meal.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I also don't like over indulgent servers. I like them to be reasonably attentive to my needs, but I get annoyed by overly obsequious wait staff. Many years ago, my first wife and two other couples went to a high dollar steakhouse down on Sixth Street in Austin. You know, one of those places where you get to pick out your individual steak from the meat case?

So having chosen our steaks, gotten some appetizers and drinks, our waiter asked how we wanted our steaks prepared, and I asked for mine rare. My waiter responded, "Sir, our rare steaks are cooked extremely rare, and you might not find it to your taste." I told him "I want the steak to moo when I cut it. Bring it rare."

In due time, we were served our steaks, and our server encouraged each of us to cut our steak, and see if it was cooked to our satisfaction. The waiter was hovering over my shoulder, because he just knew I was going to send the steak back to be cooked a bit longer. In fact, the steak was fine: seared well on the outside, nearly raw inside, and cooked just enough to be warm all through. Perfect. But I was a bit pissed off, and I told the waiter that the steak was overcooked, and asked him to bring me another porterhouse from the meat case, and if I liked it, it should go to the kitchen and be cooked 5 minutes less.

In the end, we gave the guy a decent tip; the service was very good overall, the waiter was attentive, but I didn't like him trying to second guess me on how I wanted my steak. I just couldn't resist screwing with him.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Once had an argument with a female taxi driver in Vegas who deliberately took us the long way to the hotel from the Airport, she refused to open the boot for the luggage until I had paid and included a tip. Told her point blank the laws as I understood them on theft, and that if my bags weren't out of her boot pronto then I'd be calling the police and reporting her for fare hussling, once the bags were out I paid her half of the fare, not a happy bunny. Words were exchanged and the doorman eventually sorted it out and sent her on her way, I paid the full fare in the end and tipped the doorman.

Florida, taxi driver went to go the long way, I was reading but the wife spotted it and told the driver straight the correct route to the hotel.

I have to say I get that some jobs are paid really badly however unless I get a basic level of service I won't tip, even in US. Had a cheeky waitress in Florida who added a tip onto my card after I left as she felt I hadn't left enough, given that she never re-filled our drinks, practically ignored us and figured I guess that her a$$ would get her tips. I check my card everyday on holiday and soon went back for my refund, and had the manager refund the 5 bucks cash I'd left as well.

I hate bad service and very rarely tip in the UK, the tipping ahead thing works well, in Jamaica I tipped our waiter on the first day, what was a fortune to them, but hardly anything in English money, we had favoured service for the whole 2 weeks including chocolate ice cream that wasn't on the menu.

I've worked as a waiter/barman and taxi driver and never expected tips, but damn sure would earn them. I can't stand waiting staff who are rude, distant and clearly unhappy who then smile when they hand you the bill. Best service I ever had that I can remember was firstly at a restaurant in Brackley, young girl who drew a map of the table and put orders into the spaces relevant to the seating, and instead of the usual arrive at the table "who ordered the steak" interrupting conversation, she came to the table and placed meals/drinks/etc correctly without disturbing, we never wanted for anything that night, yet never really saw her if that makes sense. Left the biggest tip I've ever left.

Second was a small diner in Florida opposite the tourist info office on International Drive, waitress insisted that we had a refill to take out with us as we hadn't had one and it was a hot day outside, she was awesome, so I left her a $25 tip on a bill of only $20. I guess having had to work hard for most of my life I begrudge giving something for nothing.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I had lunch at a sandwich shop at O'Hare airport in Chicago today. It was a basic restaurant. Tell them which sandwich you want, stand there while they make it, pay for it. I signed the credit card slip but did not include a tip. I handed it back to the cashier, he looked at it, then made a show of moving the tip jar around, shaking it, etc. I did not see any reason to leave a tip.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    I had lunch at a sandwich shop at O'Hare airport in Chicago today. It was a basic restaurant. Tell them which sandwich you want, stand there while they make it, pay for it. I signed the credit card slip but did not include a tip. I handed it back to the cashier, he looked at it, then made a show of moving the tip jar around, shaking it, etc. I did not see any reason to leave a tip.
    I don't understand the tip jars, they're everywhere now. Dunkin Donuts has them and almost every local restaurant around town has one sitting on their counter that says "tips for the cooks" or something along those lines. Those people are doing a job and being pad to do it unlike wait-staff who are only getting a minimal amount per hour and then have to earn the rest of their check by providing service. I almost never put money in a tip jar.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Jamie and I were just in charleston for a super brief trip. We ate dinner and the bill was $35. I put a $50 on top of the bill and when the waitress came to take it she asked if I needed change. Umm YES! I had planned to tip well because she did a fine job but there's no way I'm tipping 40 percent

she brough change and got her $7 which was still pretty generous, if you ask me.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    Jamie and I were just in charleston for a super brief trip. We ate dinner and the bill was $35. I put a $50 on top of the bill and when the waitress came to take it she asked if I needed change. Umm YES! I had planned to tip well because she did a fine job but there's no way I'm tipping 40 percent

she brough change and got her $7 which was still pretty generous, if you ask me.
    Dang. I know they seem to ask that when they see cash and normally it might make sense because they don't know what is there at a glance but when it's obviously a $50 that's quite an assumption. I'd be more apt to say something like "let me grab your change" and then that leaves them the opportunity to say "i don't need any"
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison