Thread: Commander K

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Commander K

Do you still have your water wings?

I hear you got a bit of rain in your neck of the woods.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Here's a reply long overdue!

Yeah, bit of a story that came along with that rain. So the ex and I had a young couple lined up to buy the house. His parents were involved and were kind of PITA's, but whatever. During this time, the ex took our son and went with her family on an Alaskan cruise, leaving me to myself in glorious solitude. I had moved in to the spare bedroom downstairs by then.

Ground was already soggy from a wet spring plus 2+ inches the day before. Then the "bit of rain" showed up about 11PM - midnight (about 5-6 inches). I was just settling down for bed when I got an odd feeling that something wasn't right. So I get up and look around. I see water just pouring into the sump pit as fast as it could go and I get a sinking feeling. The water overloaded the tiles and started seeping in, soaking all the carpets downstairs.

Did I mention we were selling the house? In 10 days? First time in 16 years we had a flooding issue, and it has to happen 10 fucking days before closing.

Needless to say I was freaking out. Got some help from family and moved everything out of the basement and into the garage. Had to tear out all the carpet and get rid of that. I did notice that every single house in the area was doing the same thing, so that helped a little knowing I wasn't the only one.

Of course the buyers caught wind of this. To make a long story short the ex and I had to pony up and have a beaver system installed (cost me $3200 ). I had to do a bit of demolition, including ripping out the basement shower stall that was had just spent $1000 fixing > . The buyers themselves were great, his parents less so, but it all worked out.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmdr Klarg View Post
    Did I mention we were selling the house? In 10 days? First time in 16 years we had a flooding issue, and it has to happen 10 fucking days before closing.

Needless to say I was freaking out.
    Wow, I can just imagine. But at least it all worked out in the end.

Off on a tangent, I was in the middle of selling our house and 25 acres when I had a heart attack and had quadruple bypass surgery. Here I was on the verge of dying and I'm worried about mowing the yard and getting the house cleaned and cleared out. The lady from the title company came to the hospital and we signed off all the paperwork there after they moved me out of ICU. That was 2.5 years ago. Now living in a small 2 bedroom rental house with a small yard--a big change from having 25 acres all to myself.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Heck, Bubba, what were you ever going to do with 25 acres except sell it? If you ran cattle, that requires some investment in time and money, and mostly only works as supplemental income. You might have leased it, but that's got it's own set of pitfalls. I mean if someone leases the land, they don't give a shit if they overgraze your land and ruin it. I understand why you wanted the land and were attached to it, but I hope you got a good price and I think that's a good outcome.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The 25 acres was more about privacy than anything else. If i wanted to go out in the front yard in my underwear and take a pee, I could to that without worrying about offending the neighbors. I could crank up my stereo and guitar amps as loud as I want, anytime I want. I could leave my cars parked without locking the doors. I don't have to listen to my stupid neighbors and their stupid dogs barking all hours of the day. And of course, the sunsets are fabulous in the TX hill country. A good cold beverage, your favorite pipe and some good company lounging in nice lawn chairs watching an awesome sunset...can't be beat.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    The 25 acres was more about privacy than anything else. If i wanted to go out in the front yard in my underwear and take a pee, I could to that without worrying about offending the neighbors. I could crank up my stereo and guitar amps as loud as I want, anytime I want. I could leave my cars parked without locking the doors. I don't have to listen to my stupid neighbors and their stupid dogs barking all hours of the day. And of course, the sunsets are fabulous in the TX hill country. A good cold beverage, your favorite pipe and some good company lounging in nice lawn chairs watching an awesome sunset...can't be beat.
    For me, owning land and property was about having some space that I could call my own and I didn't have to answer to anyone. So I do get it. Everyone wants the feeling of satisfaction and independence you get with owning land. I only have an acre now, but if I feel the urge to pee behind my office, I just do it. If my neighbor's wife sometimes runs up to the fence to watch, she can handle it. I don't mind.

After more than twenty years away, I still miss the Hill Country. But the Texas Panhandle has gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, actually better even than the Hill Country. But my heart will always be in Austin.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 02-25-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!