Thread: Idea for a app that creates document citations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Idea for a app that creates document citations

So with all the school I've been doing, I always have to write research papers. The actual writing is the easy part. Most of my time is spent citing my sources (which is suuuuuucccchhhhh a huge pain in the butt). But it has to be that way because plagiarism is such a serious thing.

Anyway, so let's say I find an article on the web. Then I go through the process of copy/pasting all the info. The citation will look like this (this one, for a website, is in MLA format)...

Raju, Manu. "Some GOP Colleagues Angry with Ted Cruz." Politico.com. Politico, 2
    Oct. 2013. Web. 6 July 2014. <http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/
    ted-cruz-blasted-by-angry-gop-colleagues-government-shutdown-97753.html>.
    Here's an example of one for a book..
    Tocqueville, Alexis De. Democracy in America. Trans. Henry Reeve. 2006. Vol. 1
    of Democracy in America. 2 vols. EPUB file.
    I was just thinking this could all be totally automated in an app. As it is, there is software I can use to create the citations. But what I'm talking about is document writing app that automatically searches the web and compares what you are writing to what it finds and then completely automatically adds the citation to the "Works Cited" section at the end. Does that make sense? Does anyone know if that would be easy to create something like that? I'm trying to figure out a way for the writer to NOT have to spend time creating these citations when the computer can easily do it. Seems like the software would see what you are writing, and recognize that it's something that needs to be cited and just add it at the end in the proper format.
    Last edited by Webhead; 07-07-2014 at 03:41 PM.