Thread: Idea for a app that creates document citations

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Idea for a app that creates document citations

So with all the school I've been doing, I always have to write research papers. The actual writing is the easy part. Most of my time is spent citing my sources (which is suuuuuucccchhhhh a huge pain in the butt). But it has to be that way because plagiarism is such a serious thing.

Anyway, so let's say I find an article on the web. Then I go through the process of copy/pasting all the info. The citation will look like this (this one, for a website, is in MLA format)...

Raju, Manu. "Some GOP Colleagues Angry with Ted Cruz." Politico.com. Politico, 2
    Oct. 2013. Web. 6 July 2014. <http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/
    ted-cruz-blasted-by-angry-gop-colleagues-government-shutdown-97753.html>.
    Here's an example of one for a book..
    Tocqueville, Alexis De. Democracy in America. Trans. Henry Reeve. 2006. Vol. 1
    of Democracy in America. 2 vols. EPUB file.
    I was just thinking this could all be totally automated in an app. As it is, there is software I can use to create the citations. But what I'm talking about is document writing app that automatically searches the web and compares what you are writing to what it finds and then completely automatically adds the citation to the "Works Cited" section at the end. Does that make sense? Does anyone know if that would be easy to create something like that? I'm trying to figure out a way for the writer to NOT have to spend time creating these citations when the computer can easily do it. Seems like the software would see what you are writing, and recognize that it's something that needs to be cited and just add it at the end in the proper format.
    Last edited by Webhead; 07-07-2014 at 03:41 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Then again, maybe this idea is too little too late since I only have one more class that will require writing. LOL

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    You would need the "original" source, not a page where someone else inserted the same snip. An automated tool would have no idea which one to pick, you'd end up with more work having to actually verify if the source is the right one.
    Also you would need to make sure you pick a permanent link, not a dynamic one that will be have the content replaced in 2 hrs...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I guess this would be more complicated than I was hoping. Seems like this is potentially work a computer could do though. If there was such a thing, it would be such a huge time saver and maybe even lower the risk of accidental plagiarism.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    This site seems to make it at least a little bit easier: http://www.citationmachine.net/

Still have to spend time gathering all the information that you would plug in there though. Would be so nice if there was a way for the computer to just do it as you're typing.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    This site seems to make it at least a little bit easier: http://www.citationmachine.net/

Still have to spend time gathering all the information that you would plug in there though. Would be so nice if there was a way for the computer to just do it as you're typing.
    Potentially, that could be a really neat feature in the next release of MS Word. Of course, that would mean that Microsoft would have to go to the effort of actually improving the product rather than just tinkering with the interface.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The practice of citations has gone way too far. It seems that most "works" are a collection of citations instead of being original content and research.
    There is no reason to quote something unless really, really needed and essential to the point of the paper.
    As a comparison my diploma project contained 11 references total.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The manual citation is a little bit difficult task so I have used ama citation generator for making citation format. If you want to make citation so I suggest yo always use citation maker tools. Becuase in manual citation we missed some things.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I haven't to create an android app though, try to consult google.