Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexus trade

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. But by buying one, you would be pioneering something that will benefit people in the long run as it evolves and continues to improve. And of course the price will go down as the technology keeps getting better. Tesla is the future. Not to mention, they have supercharger stations all over. And many more to come. http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger
    I'll let others be the pioneers and I'll stick with the much lower TCO of a gas car.
    And really, stop for a 30min charge every 2h? Maybe you don't drive much, but that turns into a 45min easily by the time you are in and out. And hopefully there are available ports and you don't have to wait 1h in line...
    No thanks, I'll refuel in few minutes at one of the 120,000 gas stations and stop when I want to not when the battery is low.
    I've recently done a trip from GA to CT, nearly 1000 miles. I don't even want to think how long this would have taken in an electric car.
    Last edited by CeeBee; 07-23-2014 at 08:35 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I'll let others be the pioneers and I'll stick with the much lower TCO of a gas car.
    If you are going to be on the cutting edge of technology, you have to be prepared to bleed. These days, I prefer not to hemorrhage much. I like to think I do my part for the environment. I don't vandalize wind farms or shoot game wardens.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Heck, there aren't many parts that would need repair anyway... Don't blame me for oversimplifying,.. blame Elon Musk.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    One more thing I'll say about Tesla,... if there is a recall on a Toyota or GM,... what happens? Thousands or millions of people bring their auto in for repair one at a time and the company pays out millions or billions of dollars to make it all better. But what happens when Tesla's catch on fire due to the car being too low to the ground? They simply send out a firmware update and raise them up a little bit. Done.

Is this controversial? Maybe. But it just shows the potential of how technology can make life a lot simpler. What price can you put on not having to take your car into the dealer to get a recall taken care of? How much is your time worth?

On the flip-side, I was thinking about Tesla and how it might be possible for a terrorist group to hack them and use them to attack us. Because they are basically just networked computers on wheels. So I guess that's a thing. Or maybe it's not a thing. Or maybe I've been watching too much "24, Live Another Day".
    If Tesla recalls 12 cars, that is pretty much the entire fleet.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Heck, there aren't many parts that would need repair anyway... Don't blame me for oversimplifying,.. blame Elon Musk.

I think there is a bit more to a car than that photo. I can post a picture of a frame of any car with just wheels and claim the same thing.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Steering? Brakes? Suspension? Electronics? Batteries?
    Oh yes - batteries - they are very sensitive and failing to charge them at the proper time (ex power failure while you're on vacation) destroys them - a $30-40k cost not covered by warranty.
    If you run out of gas you just pour some from a can...
    Have you looked at the environmental impact of the lithium batteries? Long term it may be far worse than the impact of gas.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I think there is a bit more to a car than that photo. I can post a picture of a frame of any car with just wheels and claim the same thing.
    Actually, with the Tesla, that is about it. The only other parts are the electronics inside. Open the trunk and there is nothing. The only fluid it takes is windshield washer. Regular maintenance? Tires, shocks and brakes are all standard stuff so you can do that anywhere. The motor itself would need Tesla to run diags, but they only recommend that like once every 5 years. As for any breakdowns? They come to you. I told them that I live 150 miles from the nearest showroom and who knows how far from the nearest repair. They come to you. It's all built into the cost. 3G wireless (why not 4G I have no idea) included for 5 years. And as Webby pointed out, so much of the car is controlled by software that adjustments and "repairs" can be delivered very quickly and with minimal user intervention. I did hesitate at the thought of my car turning into a brick at 70mph, but I was told you cannot install the firmware updates while driving.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    If you run out of gas you just pour some from a can...
    Have you looked at the environmental impact of the lithium batteries? Long term it may be far worse than the impact of gas.
    I agree. These two points are the main reason EVs are slow to catch on. I think as tech improves for charge time and availability of charge stations you will see a jump in purchases. Hell, when the automobile first came out, how many people thought it was ridiculous because you would need to stop at only a handful of locations to buy gas? Horses were so much easier and there were places to stable them everywhere.

And the environmental impact of the batteries is definitely a concern. I don't have an answer for that one.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    On the battery side, how many of you have experience with UPS's? When those batteries go bad, all kinds of things can happen. Most notably, HEAT! And lots of it! I worked on one UPS system that the customer had sitting directly on a carpeted floor. They came in one morning and smoke was coming from the carpet.

And we've all heard about the problems with the new Boeing 787 and it's lithium batteries. And those were brand new batteries!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Some day it may be worth it but right now, there is no way I am paying to beta test a car, wait 3 hours for a repair man, and have a leash.

I have looked at all electric vehicles, the LEAF for instance would be perfect for my short drives, it is comfortable and affordable. However, I refuse to exchange a fuel source for another, when there is free fuel that rises every morning and sets every night. When solar becomes a more viable option for charging, maybe I will look at electric again. For now, I will pump and go, not drive a little and wait.