Thread: Fun day with the Coast Guard

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Fun day with the Coast Guard

I have participated in a couple of job fairs at the local armory that were specifically for hiring vets. As a result of that relationship, I got invited to an event today at a local Coast Guard station. They gave us tours of the boats, fed us, and we got to take a ride on one of these. Pretty cool. If this boat is capsized in bad weather, it will actually right itself again. I wish all work days were as cool as today.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, some of the newer Coast Guard vessels can out survive the Navy's LCS class vessels while carrying as much firepower. Back when I was a towboater, we were boarded by the Coast Guard a time or two, and they were mostly concerned about whether or not we had an onboard sewage system that met Federal requirements. Of course, we didn't.

So, they would flush the toilet, and look for any agitation at the sides of the boat. Well, we always rode low in the water, since part of my job description included stealing enough diesel to keep the boat fully fueled at all times, thus there wasn't any surface disturbance to be seen.

Finally, I was asked to show them our sewage treatment system, and I would take the guys into the engine room, point to our outsize hydraulic tank on the forward bulkhead, and they would say "OK" and leave. Never mind that with only one inch lines running into and out of the tank it couldn't possibly be a septic system; we had all done the song and dance. Time to move along.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    So did they actually roll the boat for you to see, or are those just stock photos from somewhere?
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    We did a coast guard tour at ocean city earlier in the month as part of a vacation we took thanks to the believe in tomorrow kids foundation. They let the kids drive the boat in relatively rough seas - not much of a swell, but the kids all manages to drive right in the trough so we were getting tossed around pretty good. I really thought Jamie was going to lose her lunch.

it was pretty cool.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    So did they actually roll the boat for you to see, or are those just stock photos from somewhere?
    Just stock photos.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I found out today they have an upcoming event at Selfridge Air National Guard Base. The event is being held the day before an air show. I did not have time today but very soon I need to sign up for that. I would love a behind the scenes tour at an event like that.

http://www.selfridgeopenhouse.com/