Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexus trade

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Everything on trucks costs more than on cars.
    Being a Lexus vs a Chevy things can be all over the place. "American" cars tend to have cheaper parts than their "import" counter-parts.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    If I had a choice over an old Chevy or an old Lexus, I would go with the old Lexus. American cars had improved by the 90's but not enough.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Being a Lexus vs a Chevy things can be all over the place. "American" cars tend to have cheaper parts than their "import" counter-parts.
    I'm not sure about that. That's a big reason why I got rid of my Dodge Dakota. Every time something needed to be repaired or maintained on it ended up costing me a fortune. Just buying new tires for it was crazy expensive. On the other hand, my Toyota Matrix has been pretty reasonable.

Also, you have to look at the model of car (as opposed to the make) to know if it's "American" or not. In other words, the Toyota Tacoma is made in America (or at least it used to be -- not sure about now). But the Ford Focus is made in Mexico. The parts inside each car come from everywhere. And the cost has a lot more to do with supply/demand than whether they are "American" or not.
    Last edited by Webhead; 07-22-2014 at 10:24 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    You're looking at nearly 20yo cars. Good luck finding one that isn't junk.
    You need a little discretion, but some of these trucks are essentially indestructible. Take Clifford, my old 1991 Suburban, other than needing to have the heads pulled and the valves ground about 10 years ago, I can keep the vehicle going for a couple of hundred bucks a year in routine maintenance. Insurance is really cheap (OK, fuel not so much), but it's a good workhorse and cheap to keep running.

I really got a major laugh out of Top Gear pissing on the poor construction quality of American cars. Obviously, superior quality and reliability is why British Leyland dominates the world market today.

Quick joke: "Why do the British drink warm beer?" Because they own Lucas refrigerators.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Actually, British, American, Japanese, Korean,.... it's all crap compared to the Tesla Model S in my opinion. Tesla is the future.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Actually, British, American, Japanese, Korean,.... it's all crap compared to the Tesla Model S in my opinion. Tesla is the future.
    $20-30k vs $65-90k. No comparison.
    Can you drive from NYC to Miami in a Tesla? Nope... no place to charge, you'd be on the side of the road waiting for a tow somewhere near Baltimore. But a $500 gas car may take you there just fine. So which one is crap?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    other than needing to have the heads pulled and the valves ground about 10 years ago
    Well that's a $3k job easily. Most people wouldn't do it on a car worth under $5k.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    [QUOTE=Webhead;3469Also, you have to look at the model of car (as opposed to the make) to know if it's "American" or not.[/QUOTE]

Good point. My FIL has a Dodge Ram which is a complete piece of crap. It is an American brand made in Mexico. I have a Toyota Tundra which is nearly perfect. It is a Japanese brand made in America. When I generalize that foreign vehicles are better, I am referring to the brand. I believe it is the corporate culture that ultimately determines the quality of the product.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well that's a $3k job easily. Most people wouldn't do it on a car worth under $5k.
    Back when I had it done, it cost me about $700. A couple of years ago, Clifford was worth roughly a Kit Kat and a Kleenex. Now, according to NADA, I own a Classic Vehicle valued at around 5 grand. But, seriously, while the valuation is a joke, the vehicle is rock solid reliable, dirt cheap to operate, insure, and maintain, and very utilitarian. I've got access to auto lifts, engine hoists, and in a worst case scenario, I could pop a new small block Chevy engine into this beast for less than the down payment on a replacement vehicle.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    I believe it is the corporate culture that ultimately determines the quality of the product.
    True, but corporate culture world wide seems to be slipping badly. How about Toyota's recent recalls? Make it cheap, push it out the door; it's all good.
    WIFFLEBALL!