Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing Moments in Computer Service

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Embarrassing Moments in Computer Service

Everyone's got one, I'm sure. For instance, just last week I broke an LJ 4000 while replacing the transfer roller. If you are all through laughing, what happened was that I was sliding the new roller into the white nylon bushing at the right side of the printer, when the guide that helps secure the bushing, nearest the registration assembly, just broke and fell over.

Previously, I had always believed that I could even train my cat to replace a transfer roller. Maybe the cat would have done a better job. I ended up pulling the top covers, the Tray 1 pick up assembly, and the registration assembly just so I could get a good look at the damage. And then I glued the broken guide back into place. See, Loctite has this really effective two part adhesive for plastic...

Actually, after I opened up the printer, I found a lot of broken plastic and missing parts (such as the spring in Tray 1), so I could only conclude that some truly ham-handed guy had serviced the printer at one time.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I was laughing more at the fact that you still have to use an LJ 4000. :P

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Deity View Post
    I was laughing more at the fact that you still have to use an LJ 4000. :P
    I take the point that, yes, this is a 16 year old printer, but all it does is print text (mostly loan documents). I've served this customer for over a decade. In that time, I've replaced a JetDirect card and the formatter in the printer. Not a bad track record.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The LJ4000 series were workhorses. They just go and go like the energizer bunny.......
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    While I had a fairly small amount of downtime on the printer, customer still ordered a new printer, but they are keeping the old one as a spare. They are a small bank, and anytime you change hardware, there are all sorts of bizarre hoops you have to jump through to get things working with their data centers.

I know this sounds really screwy, but if you compare, say, a 600n or 610n JetDirect card to newer HP printers, there are some differences in SNP implementation. That means that newer printers don't work with the data center's software. So, in addition to the cost of the printer, there is a customized print server factored into the cost.

I can slap a refurb LJ 4100 into the bank and have it running in minutes, but a newer printer takes a lot more work to set up. I also think that HP printers these days are pretty junky and flimsy. Still, there is something to said in favor of a commonality of parts and consumables across multiple branches.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    The LJ4000 series were workhorses. They just go and go like the energizer bunny.......
    Oh, I know it. We still have a couple socked away for emergency spares around here.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Probably the plastic part was cooked and became brittle.
    And yes, those 4000s seem indestructible. I have a 4100 as the "main" house printer, works way better than the 1020 I have in the office.
    I slapped a bigger RAM stick into it and repaired the jetdirect card (reflow in the oven), now it prints like a champ...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Currently, I have several clients buying HP 2050s and while they are dirt cheap, they feel like they are built from spiderwebs. If you aren't doing graphics, give me a 4000 or 4100 any day. Doggone printer is likely to outlive me.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    My daughters are still using my HP LaserJet 5L. I replaced the pickup roller spring long ago and it has worked like a champ every since.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I love stumbling upon these ancient discussion threads from 1997. Oh wait, you mean this a current discussion? Yeesh!