Thread: Handgun Advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Handgun Advice

Elder Child wants to get her own pistol and a concealed carry permit. I've had my old Browning Hi-Power for 30 years or so, and I'm really out of the loop when it comes to newer handguns. I'm leaning toward buying her a Glock 26, but I'm open to advice.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Why does she need to carry a gun?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I don't think she really "needs" to carry a gun. She has some basic self defense skills and carries a couple of knives, so handgun ownership is sort of a coming of age ritual. I'm a Texan, so I might (with some justification) be considered barking mad. But I didn't raise either of my daughters to be victims. Both my kids can shoot well, but EC wants her own firearm. She's 19, and can get a concealed carry permit. I want her safe, and I consider that having her well armed is part of keeping her safe.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I don't think she really "needs" to carry a gun. She has some basic self defense skills and carries a couple of knives, so handgun ownership is sort of a coming of age ritual. I'm a Texan, so I might (with some justification) be considered barking mad. But I didn't raise either of my daughters to be victims. Both my kids can shoot well, but EC wants her own firearm. She's 19, and can get a concealed carry permit. I want her safe, and I consider that having her well armed is part of keeping her safe.
    Thanks for the honest answer. I'm not looking for a fight, I'm genuinely interested why you'd arm your daughter. Obviously it's completely different over here and something that shocks me to hear is considered normal over there, hence my curiosity. Is it really that dangerous in Texas though to warrant a gun or knives?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    Thanks for the honest answer. I'm not looking for a fight, I'm genuinely interested why you'd arm your daughter. Obviously it's completely different over here and something that shocks me to hear is considered normal over there, hence my curiosity. Is it really that dangerous in Texas though to warrant a gun or knives?
    Actually, my daughter goes to college at the safest campus I can imagine. They even have a phone app where you can log in to campus security, tell them your ETA back at the dorm, and if you don't report within 5 minutes of your expected arrival time, campus security will dispatch a couple of guys to the phone's GPS position.

Having the ability to defend yourself isn't really about how likely you are to need the skills, it's about having control over your life even in the unlikely event that things get really bad. I doubt either of my kids will ever need to shoot, stab, or even break someone's nose, but I'm happier knowing they have the option and ability.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 07-30-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I think at least 50% of this thread will soon contain information that has nothing to do with which model is best.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    I think at least 50% of this thread will soon contain information that has nothing to do with which model is best.
    Pick my lottery numbers please?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Okay, I might as well contribute to the side topic of this thread.

I support people's right to carry a gun in their purse/holster while they go about their everyday activities because it is a freedom our forefathers fought for. However, I think it is a waste of money and does more harm than good when a conflict comes up.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Elder Child wants to get her own pistol and a concealed carry permit. I've had my old Browning Hi-Power for 30 years or so, and I'm really out of the loop when it comes to newer handguns. I'm leaning toward buying her a Glock 26, but I'm open to advice.
    My personal advice is a small revolver, most likely a 38.

I personally don't think you can go wrong with a revolver for reliability and ease of use in a conflict situation. If (god forbid) the situation ever arises where you need a gun for self defense you're going to almost certainly be panicking. With a semi-auto you need to make sure you have a round racked into the chamber and possibly remember to take the safety off (depending on models). With a double action revolver as long as it's loaded it's as simple as pointing and pulling the trigger. Even if you normally shoot single action and forget to cock the hammer, pulling the trigger will still shoot.

Glocks are awesome guns, I own a 21 and a 26. However, I don't think they're the best carry weapon for somebody who doesn't spend a lot of time working with them. First of all, they have no safety other than the trigger mechanism. This means you need to either carry with the chamber empty or make sure you're conditioned to not put your finger inside the trigger guard until you're ready to shoot. If you carry it empty, then you need to have the extra second or two available (and remember) to rack it when needed. The other drawback I see to Glocks is once you have one chambered, there is no way to "decock" it so if you rack it and don't use it and prefer to carry empty you need to eject the round.

I personally carry concealed on a daily basis (except for when working). I have a snub-nosed 357 that is my daily carry piece and I practice with it a good bit. I love my Glock 26 but still don't feel confident enough with it to carry it. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    My personal advice is a small revolver, most likely a 38.

I must advise against the revolver. They are much harder to shoot accurately, harder to reload or carry spare amo like a mag fed pistol. Also, revolvers lack recoil relief though the slide, therefore your hand will take the brunt during practice, and that may cause flinching after regular use, which only makes them even harder to maintain accuracy. Every time I go into a gun store I hear the clerk suggesting revolvers to women, and that couldn't be farther from the right option. Women can handle the slide with ease, and can hold firmly during shooting. My sister shot my 45 first time and loved every minute of it. Her revolver sucked the life out of her, and she put it away after only about 20 rounds and a sore hand. But she kept on with my 45 until I had to cut her off after 100 rounds...sh!t's expensive when it's someone else shooting your ammo!