Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Is it just me?

Or is this site running suuuuuuuppppeeeeeerrrrr slloooooooooooooooooooowwww?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Or is this site running suuuuuuuppppeeeeeerrrrr slloooooooooooooooooooowwww?
    It's just you. My connection in the office ran like crap all weekend, but my home connection, about 100 feet away was fine. Speedtest.net and pingtest.net are pretty reliable for diagnosing connection issues. I also like some of dslreports.com's diagnostics, but they all seem to require Java to run. Pingtest will tell you some of the site's features require Java, but the basic test works fine with just Flash installed. I don't run Java on any computer I own.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    It's just you. My connection in the office ran like crap all weekend, but my home connection, about 100 feet away was fine. Speedtest.net and pingtest.net are pretty reliable for diagnosing connection issues. I also like some of dslreports.com's diagnostics, but they all seem to require Java to run. Pingtest will tell you some of the site's features require Java, but the basic test works fine with just Flash installed. I don't run Java on any computer I own.
    ummmm, what?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It was definitely slow last evening. Had to reload pages few times to fully load.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well I'll tell you this much, not too long after I posted this someone knocked on my door. It was the UPS guy dropping off my new modem. Comcast suggested I replace my existing modem with this one. It has wifi built in so now I don't need my Netgear router.

First, with my previous modem I was barely chuggin' along with 8M down. Now I have 50+M. It's freakin fast! So maybe it was just me. Everything seems good now.

Now as for the new modem, I'm pretty sure there's all kinds of evil built in. For example, I'm pretty sure Comcast wants paying customers to give away their wifi signal to people nearby. So what they will do is bump my bandwidth up (which it appears they did) and any extra bandwidth will go to leechers. Second, I guarantee they have tools built in that spy on what goes in and out of the modem. With the previous setup, if I had uTorrent (with encryption) + the old modem + the Netgear router, I think I was pretty safe from them snooping. But now I'm sure they can snoop no matter what's happening. I can't prove it but I guarantee they are doing that. This is so they can throttle your bandwidth if you start streaming popcorn time (or other similar things) to your TV.

And for the record, I don't do much with torrents anyway so it doesn't matter. But just sayin...

So what have we learned from this thread so far?
    1> FaR appears to be intermittently slow/fast
    2> My bandwidth was terrible and now it rocks
    3> Comcast is spying on me
    4> I'm paranoid
    5> I'm hungry so I think I will post this and then go get food

Dayum!!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    It was definitely slow last evening. Had to reload pages few times to fully load.
    Yeah, that's what I was experiencing too.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    ummmm, what?
    OK, I'll type slower Speedtest.net and pingtest.net are good diagnostic resources for identifying connection issues related to ISP performance. Dslreports.com offers a more comprehensive set of diagnostic tools, but most of them require Java to run. Java is by any measure the least secure and the most dangerous software you can run on a computer. Adobe's stuff is pretty bad, but Java is in a league all its own. So, I don't run Java on any of my six computers, and I strongly suggest to all of my clients that they uninstall it unless they have some core app that requires it.

Anyway, I think a good suite of ISP diagnostics (also including our old friend tracert) are really useful when you are trying to identify Internet performance bottlenecks. Some websites really suck in terms of performance, and personally I think Yahoo is the poster child, especially if you have their shitty toolbar installed.

What I wanted to say, was that there are tests that will generally clearly separate speed issues related to ISP performance from issues with website performance. But if any of the test require Java, I'm not running them.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    That didn't happen for me, but both Hulu and Netflix were virtually unusable. I'm on a 50 Mbps connection at my office and running the speedtest.net test showed me running at .85 Mbps download speeds with nearly 2 Mbps upload speeds. But, I can't say I experienced any connection issues specific to this site.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    For example, I'm pretty sure Comcast wants paying customers to give away their wifi signal to people nearby.
    I've been wondering about this as well. Lately I've seen a few "xfinity" wifi signals popping up in my neighborhood and I know the last place I worked at when they did a cable install for us at a new office there was a free wifi hotspot included. The tech assured me it was separate from our bandwidth, but I have my doubts.

So is your modem/wifi router pushing out 2 separate SSID's?
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I would still use the router, just because it has better options that you can set for security, and it is a second wall for h@x0r5 to get through.