Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    I've been wondering about this as well. Lately I've seen a few "xfinity" wifi signals popping up in my neighborhood and I know the last place I worked at when they did a cable install for us at a new office there was a free wifi hotspot included. The tech assured me it was separate from our bandwidth, but I have my doubts.

So is your modem/wifi router pushing out 2 separate SSID's?
    From what I read in the past there are different SSIDs and even the IP is different. It can also be turned off.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I've been wondering about this as well. Lately I've seen a few "xfinity" wifi signals popping up in my neighborhood and I know the last place I worked at when they did a cable install for us at a new office there was a free wifi hotspot included. The tech assured me it was separate from our bandwidth, but I have my doubts.

So is your modem/wifi router pushing out 2 separate SSID's?
    A little bit about that,... So you go to Comcast and login. Then you click on "My Account" and then scroll down to "Add a new email address". From the next page under, "Service address" you will see a small link under your address called, "Manage Xfinity WiFi". It used to be that you could toggle it on and off. But now when you click, nothing comes up. In other words, someone figured out what they were doing and now they are trying to hide it.

So it's something to be aware of and keep an eye on. I saw this posted on like Lifehacker or Gizmodo awhile back.

As for multiple SSID's,... not that I'm aware of. By default it's named something generic but I went in and changed it to my own thing. I was looking through the settings trying to figure out if there's something that would offer public wifi that I could disable but couldn't find anything. If it's there, I'm sure it's hidden or buried.

And yeah, same here. I've been seeing "xfinity" wifi signals too. I'm not sure how they justify giving away the bandwidth that I pay for but ok...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I would still use the router, just because it has better options that you can set for security, and it is a second wall for h@x0r5 to get through.
    True. And of course I've always been the guy who uses the plain modem + router. But this time I wanted less clutter and also I'm curious to learn more about what Comcast is doing. So gonna give this a go for awhile. Plus I got 50M and I'm not doing anything wrong with my bandwidth so I figure I'm not at risk for anything.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    From what I read in the past there are different SSIDs and even the IP is different. It can also be turned off.
    I'll have to double check tonight. I couldn't find anything like that though. There seems to be just one wifi area on the config page that includes standard wifi settings.

Also they send this modem by default with "admin" and "password" as the login. In the instructions there isn't much there advising customers to change these settings. So I am going to assume many customers who are getting these modems are easily hackable. I doubt anyone is going in there and changing their passwords.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    True. And of course I've always been the guy who uses the plain modem + router. But this time I wanted less clutter and also I'm curious to learn more about what Comcast is doing. So gonna give this a go for awhile. Plus I got 50M and I'm not doing anything wrong with my bandwidth so I figure I'm not at risk for anything.
    plus you don't have 4 users trying to watch Netflix when you are trying to play an FPS game. I put my connection on a decent router so I could set the QoS to favor my main PC.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    plus you don't have 4 users trying to watch Netflix when you are trying to play an FPS game. I put my connection on a decent router so I could set the QoS to favor my main PC.
    Oh yeah. I can see your point.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    As for multiple SSID's,... not that I'm aware of. By default it's named something generic but I went in and changed it to my own thing. I was looking through the settings trying to figure out if there's something that would offer public wifi that I could disable but couldn't find anything. If it's there, I'm sure it's hidden or buried.

And yeah, same here. I've been seeing "xfinity" wifi signals too. I'm not sure how they justify giving away the bandwidth that I pay for but ok...
    I just meant mostly do you see a new SSID in addition to yours now when you scan on your iphone, ipad, etc.? Is there now a "Webby's Way Cool Wireless" in addition to an "xfinity" one?
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I just meant mostly do you see a new SSID in addition to yours now when you scan on your iphone, ipad, etc.? Is there now a "Webby's Way Cool Wireless" in addition to an "xfinity" one?
    Yes. That's exactly it. However, I'm surrounded by apartments and based on the default name of the modem, I can see others have this modem as well because they haven't been renamed. But there is only one "xfinity" that shows up. That makes me think that these modems are creating a single shared, free wifi called, "xfinity" that anyone can access. Which I'm not sure I'm comfortable with.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Unplug your modem. Wait and then check your phone. What do you see?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PC View Post
    Unplug your modem. Wait and then check your phone. What do you see?
    I'm always the one telling people to reboot their things to fix problems. We joke about it at work. Now I'm the one being told to reboot something. LOL