Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to build a new computer

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    O365 is fairly popular amongst my clients and I have several with a Surface. Those that have W8 are happy enough after the initial culture shock. It can be a bit painful but it's not that bad.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm currently testing out a the Surface PRO 3 for a few weeks. Then it'll be handed off to a salesman to test out. If that goes well, my company is looking to begin replacing sales laptops with these in our replacement schedule. I've been using it as my primary computer for a couple days now (with its built in kickstand and cover/keyboard). I'll have the docking station when it's released on the 16th. So far I haven't had any major issues with it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I wonder why Windows 8/Office 365/Surface is being rejected by society? I don't know anyone that wants any of those products.
    Most people have trouble dealing with change. Sometimes this gets pretty extreme. I recently installed a Win 7 Home computer for a client, who was replacing an older (like 12 years old) Dell desktop. And one of the questions he asked me was "Do I get to DOS mode the same way I did in XP?" I explained that Win7 had a command prompt, but didn't have the ability to run DOS programs.

His response was, "Well, OK, at least I can still copy and move files, right?" At that point, I had a real WTF moment. I said, "Yep, just like in XP." So he opened a command prompt and moved a couple of files around just to make sure that it worked. Afterwards I said, "You can do that in Windows." And then I showed him how to cut, copy, and paste from the Windows GUI. His response was, "That's pretty easy, and you don't have to type."

So, when you talk about users being slow to adopt Win 8.1, that's more of a commentary about the users than the quality of the OS. Office 365 is a different proposition altogether, and lumping it with your opinions about Win 8.1 isn't germane to the discussion.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    O365 is fairly popular amongst my clients and I have several with a Surface. Those that have W8 are happy enough after the initial culture shock. It can be a bit painful but it's not that bad.
    Do you own or use a Surface? If not, why not? So far all I know about them is what I read in articles. I only know one person who bought one and then returned it like a week later. Also, I only have one system here at work with W8 and the person using it hates it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    I'm currently testing out a the Surface PRO 3 for a few weeks. Then it'll be handed off to a salesman to test out. If that goes well, my company is looking to begin replacing sales laptops with these in our replacement schedule. I've been using it as my primary computer for a couple days now (with its built in kickstand and cover/keyboard). I'll have the docking station when it's released on the 16th. So far I haven't had any major issues with it.
    What happens if you guys invest in purchasing Surfaces and then Microsoft scraps the whole project? Because I've been reading articles that they are considering scrapping it.

By the way, my comments aren't meant to be negative or disparaging. It just seems like a risky investment considering how much their sales have struggled. I keep hoping this surge of people will start buying them and pick the market back up. I want to see competition and innovation in the industry.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    What happens if you guys invest in purchasing Surfaces and then Microsoft scraps the whole project? Because I've been reading articles that they are considering scrapping it.

By the way, my comments aren't meant to be negative or disparaging. It just seems like a risky investment considering how much their sales have struggled. I keep hoping this surge of people will start buying them and pick the market back up. I want to see competition and innovation in the industry.
    I think you conflate Windows 8.1 acceptance with Surface sales and support. Seems like a red herring to me, just like your earlier comment on Office 365. I don't have any customers buying Surfaces, but I'll play the game. Fine, some of my clients buy Surfaces, and then MS kills the platform and only supports it for the next 10 years or so. Lamentation is heard in the land.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

It wouldn't surprise me at all. Word is the sales team is floundering, but instead of spending money to get more experienced, better connected salesmen, they think spending money on a tablet will work out better.

Also, my company is currently implementing tablets for the service techs, and I think they are windows based tablets. This hasn't hit my region yet, so I'm not too familiar with them yet. Seems like my company is planning on a long term commitment to windows based tablets.

Also MCFA's (caterpillar and other brands) entire online parts website runs on silverlight. The service laptops have to use WinXP because the software and hardware used to connect to the trucks won't work on newer OSs/hardware. It'll be a long time before the forklift industry catches up.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Heck, I think I'd rather go with a Dell Venue (as a tablet) or a Lenovo X1 (as a laptop) over a Surface. Surface just seems overpriced and overly complicated for what it is.

But hey, I guess it can't hurt to do the experiment. Hopefully it works out. If not, figure out a plan B.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Heck, I think I'd rather go with a Dell Venue (as a tablet) or a Lenovo X1 (as a laptop) over a Surface. Surface just seems overpriced and overly complicated for what it is.

But hey, I guess it can't hurt to do the experiment. Hopefully it works out. If not, figure out a plan B.
    We can agree on that at least.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    We can agree on that at least.
    Yeah. I mean, I'm not trying to be the pessimist cynical guy or anything. Like I said, I want these things to be successful. It's just disappointing how the company is being run right now. I wish there was a way for Bill Gates to just come back and right the ship. Steve Ballmer ruined the company and this new guy Nadella is doing what he feels is right but I don't feel he knows what he's doing either.