Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to build a new computer

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Time to build a new computer

I built the main computer I have at home. I don't remember when I built it but I think it is safe to say, I got my money's worth out of it. It's time to make this my secondary computer and build a new main computer. I have not done much research yet but I did buy the case today. It looks like it will be plenty roomy and look good too. It does not have a window in the side or any of the fancy LED lights which suits me just fine. $64.01 with free shipping thanks to my Prime membership.

http://smile.amazon.com/Antec-Three-...ee+hundred+two

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Absolutely no question in my mind that Antec 300 IIs and Eleven Hundred V2s are the best cases for the money. I built a bunch of systems in the original 300s, but the 300 IIs are definitely nicer to work with and have better cable handling. I particularly like the fact that the system isn't cluttered up with doors or front panel covers. Actually, about my only gripe with the case (and it certainly isn't specific to the 300 II) is that the intake vent over the CPU doesn't have a stock filter, though it isn't hard to roll your own. On the other hand, builds in these cases and overall cooling performance with stock hardware often exceed many of those $300+ boutique cases from Silverstone, etc.

Edit: You never know who might be reading these posts, so I will add that with a bottom mounted power supply, cut rate power supplies might come up deficient in cable length. Just one more reason not to buy POS PSUs.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 08-10-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I particularly like the fact that the system isn't cluttered up with doors or front panel covers.
    That is another thing that drew me to this case. My current computer has an Antec case and my only complaint is the door on the front that covers everything up. I knew from the day I bought it the design for the hinge was poor but I thought if I was careful it would last. It probably would have if my wife had not broke it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    That is another thing that drew me to this case. My current computer has an Antec case and my only complaint is the door on the front that covers everything up. I knew from the day I bought it the design for the hinge was poor but I thought if I was careful it would last. It probably would have if my wife had not broke it.
    Yeah, I regard all that sort of stuff as a triumph of form over function, and I'm solidly in the "I want it to work easily and well" school of industrial design. Dell has produced some nasty specimens of case design, but over all, I think HP should get a lifetime award for "Egregiously Over-complicated and Unnecessarily Cramped Case Design."
    Last edited by slgrieb; 08-10-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    See, the hardware is no problem. There are so many choices now that I'm sure that whatever you end up with will be great. My question is,... what software will you put on it once it's done? XP is antiquated and dead so that rules that out. Same with Vista of course. Windows 7 is the greatest operating system Microsoft ever made but now that is even getting long in the tooth. To install it requires reboot after reboot after reboot of endless updates. Windows 8/8.1/8.1.x is basically being scrapped by Microsoft due to lack of interest. So that just leaves Windows 9 which doesn't even exist yet.

So i guess logically speaking, you'd probably end up putting Windows 7 on it?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yes. Windows 7. I have Professional right now but I have an available license for Ultimate so I will use that on the new build.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I like Win 8.1 a whole bunch. It's annoying to lose all those years of muscle memory we built with earlier versions of Windows, but the OS is very quick, very stable, and even more secure than Win 7. I think MS jumped the gun a bit with Win 8.0, and went with an interface designed for tablets and touch screens at the expense of desktop users, but I think that the Win 8.1 and particularly the Win 8.1 Update fix most of these issues. My biggest gripe with Win 8.1 is that there still isn't a version of Combofix that will run on it. And of course, that isn't a Win 8 issue.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 08-11-2014 at 03:54 PM.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I like Win 8.1 a whole bunch. It's annoying to lose all those years of muscle memory we built with earlier versions of Windows, but the OS is very quick, very stable, and even more secure than Win 7. I think MS jumped the gun a bit with Win 8.0, and went with an interface designed for tablets and touch screens at the expense of desktop users, but I think that the Win 8.1 and particularly the Win 8.1 Update fix most of these issues. My biggest gripe with Win 8.1 is that there still isn't a version of Combofix that will run on it. And of course, that isn't a Win 8 issue.
    Under the hood, Windows 8.1.x is very well built. The problem though is everything else. The UI is completely confusing. The whole point of a computer is not to satisfy the technological achievements of developers or administrators or technicians. It's to provide a tool for people to create or consume with. And if the UI is unusable, then it's impossible for the end user to create or consume. They have managed to confuse people with their offerings. I fear that if they don't straighten this out with Windows 9 then it could be curtains for Microsoft as a company. And that would be really bad for the industry as a whole.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The UI isn't completely confusing. Most desktop and laptop users are going to run Win 8.1 in desktop mode and aside from changes to the Start Menu, there isn't much that has changed, except for the better. With the Win 8.1 Update, right clicking on the Start Button is sort of a geek's wet dream come true. Suddenly, you have one click access to most of Windows management features, including an elevated command prompt, programs and features, power settings, disk management and lots more stuff. Sorry, but I've been running computers since CP/M 80 and so I have 30+ years of listening to people whine about how terrible every new OS update is. I've had to listen to the same old complaints from DOS all up to today. Microsoft screws up frequently, but in the long run, they get more stuff right than wrong.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I wonder why Windows 8/Office 365/Surface is being rejected by society? I don't know anyone that wants any of those products.