Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FREE CompTIA Certification starting August 11

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

FREE CompTIA Certification starting August 11

At the CompTIA conference I was at last week, they told us they are updating the content of the IT Fundamentals exam. It is in beta right now and should come out in its final form in October. They need a limited number of people to take the beta test. Starting today, it is available.

If you want to take it, go to the Pearson VUE site and log in. Go to the CompTIA area and you will find exam number FC1-U51. Select it and then use promo code ITFU51beta in order to access it for free. YOU CAN TAKE THIS EXAM FROM ANY COMPUTER, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO A TESTING CENTER.

It is 100 questions and you have 90 minutes. I just took it and had 20 minutes leftover despite stopping to leave comments on their questions from time to time. Yes, I know it is not a big addition to your resume but it still has some value to service/network techs. I encouraged both my instructor and tutor to find time in their schedules to take it today. You will not immediately know if you passed. When you register for the test, it appears you can take it anytime in the next 30 days. Once CompTIA has all of the results, they will decide what the pass/fail score is. Once they know that, they will let people know how they did. If you pass, you will be certified and receive a certificate just like if you took the final version later this year.

Good luck.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    interesting. I may do this later! Thanks!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    how did you find the test to be in terms of difficulty, BTW?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Thanks Pinnacle! Very cool! I signed up just now. I'll give it a try tonight when I get home.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    how did you find the test to be in terms of difficulty, BTW?
    I have not got my hands dirty in IT since I left UPS in 2009. During my time at UPS, much of what I did was proprietary. With this in mind, I was a little worried about this test even if it is only a watered own version of the A+ (I got my A+ back in 2000). Over the weekend I found a prep book and read it cover to cover. It was for the version of the exam soon to be replaced but I thought it would still be a good idea. Most of what was in the book I already knew but there were some things I had forgotten about.

It all went very smooth today. The test was not difficult. I had time leftover despite taking the time to leave them about five comments during the exam. For somebody who still works in IT every day, this test should be a no brainer.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Thanks Pinnacle! Very cool! I signed up just now. I'll give it a try tonight when I get home.
    At the conference they told us the test was limited to the first 200 people to take it. Later, I received an e-mail that said 400. Typo or did they up the number? Who knows. I would assume they will fill their quota fairly quickly but certainly not by tonight when you get home.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    At the conference they told us the test was limited to the first 200 people to take it. Later, I received an e-mail that said 400. Typo or did they up the number? Who knows. I would assume they will fill their quota fairly quickly but certainly not by tonight when you get home.
    I would like to try it now but there's no way. I'm constantly interrupted here at work. Especially today. We have an ISO audit happening. Well, if it's filled up by the time I go to take it then that's ok. I'll give it a try either way.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Actually I just went back through it and realized it let me register for the exam but I can take it later. So I'm locked in. So anyone interested, be sure to register for the exam just so that you are locked in.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I was able to register for it. Haven't taken it though.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well, I took the exam. But they don't give the results since it's a beta. They will spend time analyzing it and sent me the results later it said. However, the test felt pretty basic and pretty easy and I think I did well. Curious to see what the score is though. Hopefully they will send it soon.