Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: FREE CompTIA Certification starting August 11

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    In the absence of any hint, you take the path that provides you with the highest amount of info in the lowest amount of time.
    word

work smarter not harder.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    A router is a computer. A "PC" computer is not a router. If your PC freezes due to a software/hardware issue it does nothing, just sits there until you reset it manually. A dedicated device such as a router will not - a reset will be issued at hardware level even if the CPU is stuck in an infinite loop or not processing any instruction whatsoever.
    And yes, I'm saying that troubleshooting depends on the situation. You aren't level1 at the cable co where the user calls that both internet and TV are down and you have him power-cycle the modem, router and computer.
    In the absence of any hint, you take the path that provides you with the highest amount of info in the lowest amount of time.
    Well a "PC" computer is a router if you tell it to be one. We did that all the time in the Solaris courses way back years ago. We just used average x86 systems with a single NIC and made them become routers using IP aliases on Solaris 9. Pretty simple. You can do that same thing with any computer really. A "router" is just a more specialized version of that. And all the rest of that is just instructions that people give the computer either as added software or built-in to whatever OS it's using.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    word

work smarter not harder.
    Right. There was this engineer a few weeks ago who was working on a test system here and had some connectivity issues. Before he even said one word to me, I saw the disconnected cable sticking out. No problem. There's a lot of stuff connected so it was just an oversight. He started explaining that nothing was working and midway through the explanation I connected the network cable and turned his frown upside down just like that. You guys are right. Work smarter not harder.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Well a "PC" computer is a router if you tell it to be one
    Yes, but it will not have the resiliency of a dedicated router. There are far more points of failure where the router is running on top of a generic OS, troubleshooting is different.
    A dedicated router will just restart when it encounters a critical condition, fixing itself. A PC will not.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    I forgot all about this, must've trashed the email without reading it. Anyhow, I logged in and checked my report and I got an 857. I don't even remember the questions much led alone what ones I might have had problems with.
    Huh? An on topic post? Don't you know this thread has degraded down to arguing between tastes great and less filling? If you really want to be part of this thread, tell CeeBee he is arrogant and tell Webhead he is a no good Apple lover. I can't believe you chose to be polite and mature. What's this world coming to?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Huh? An on topic post? Don't you know this thread has degraded down to arguing between tastes great and less filling? If you really want to be part of this thread, tell CeeBee he is arrogant and tell Webhead he is a no good Apple lover. I can't believe you chose to be polite and mature. What's this world coming to?
    I have to apologize for my part in this. You're so right with every word of that. Sorry man.