Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ice bucket challenge plus California drought

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I just don't think they have any reasonable basis for that argument.
    Maybe they just don't want some cold water on their heads and water shortage is their excuse?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    One of the attractions of Vegas is that it's a City in a desert. Until the drought the water wasn't an issue for many decades.
    It's still in the desert. It's a desert for a reason - it doesn't rain nearly enough. Population has increased 5x in the last 30 years, the resources are the same. The growth is unsustainable and eventually it will reach a point where it is no longer desirable, conservation or not.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I wonder how long this drought is going to last? If we don't get any rain this coming up winter we're going to be in deep doo doo.
    Shortage of resources is nature's way of controlling overpopulation.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    This drought very well could last 30-50 years by the way. It's happened before. Thing is, nobody knows what to expect. And if Silicon Valley has to be uprooted and moved, that could be devastating to the economy for decades. I'm just hoping it doesn't come to all that and that it just rains this winter.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    It's still in the desert. It's a desert for a reason - it doesn't rain nearly enough. Population has increased 5x in the last 30 years, the resources are the same. The growth is unsustainable and eventually it will reach a point where it is no longer desirable, conservation or not.
    They use less water now than they did 30 years ago. It's the drought causing the issue, not the amount of annual rain water they "should" be getting there.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    They use less water now than they did 30 years ago. It's the drought causing the issue, not the amount of annual rain water they "should" be getting there.
    How do you know? 5x the people taking showers, washing clothes, flushing toilets. More tourists coming than 30 years ago and they don't get listed as "residents". Low-flush toilets are being installed everywhere and they use 30% less water per flush but have to be flushed 2-3 times.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Right. The simple face of the matter is that it just literally hasn't rained on the west coast in 3+ years.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    How do you know? 5x the people taking showers, washing clothes, flushing toilets. More tourists coming than 30 years ago and they don't get listed as "residents". Low-flush toilets are being installed everywhere and they use 30% less water per flush but have to be flushed 2-3 times.
    I know because I read about it recently on a well known and respected website, (guess what, I can't remember which one). Water recycling has become more efficient % wise than the rise of visitors % wise, so they use less water now with 5 x more people visiting than they did 30 years ago because so much less is wasted. If it weren't for the drought they could survive OK.

Why do I feel I'm going around in circles?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Right. The simple face of the matter is that it just literally hasn't rained on the west coast in 3+ years.
    Patience, when the Big Shake comes you'll have plenty of water...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    so they use less water now with 5 x more people visiting than they did 30 years ago because so much less is wasted.
    It's 5x more people LIVING there, day by day. People taking showers, washing clothes and dishes, watering lawns, washing cars, flushing toilets. The drought is just showing they are reaching the limit. The city can only have so many inhabitants, after a threshold any disturbance in the supplies is strongly felt.