Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: California earthquake?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    The problem is, building anywhere on earth is subject to some form of natural disaster. I keep trying to think of where someone can build where they are safe from mother nature. I can't think of anywhere on earth that is safe.
    Agreed, but some are way more susceptible then others. Here in central PA the last big natural disaster was the flood of 1972, so there hasn't even been one here yet in my lifetime.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Agreed, but some are way more susceptible then others. Here in central PA the last big natural disaster was the flood of 1972, so there hasn't even been one here yet in my lifetime.
    Now that you mention it, the loma prieta earthquake happened 25 years ago. I was 16. Now I'm 41. Seems like just yesterday but it's amazing how much time has gone by. Before that was the great quake of 1906. So these quakes don't even really happen all that often either.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    sounds like it's time for California to break off into the ocean. I hope it can swim. :'D
    Such a myth. Haven't you heard of the tectonic plates? That's what's holding our continent together and isn't likely to break off and create an island of California.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    Such a myth. Haven't you heard of the tectonic plates? That's what's holding our continent together and isn't likely to break off and create an island of California.
    Of course we've heard of tectonic plates. They are those metal thingies that women in Wagnerian opera wear to cover their boobies. Do you think we are ignorant?
    Last edited by slgrieb; 09-04-2014 at 01:07 AM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Welcome stranger.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    And just to add to that,... there are many people who think that a great quake would split California off into the ocean. It's just the opposite though. The plates that form the San Andreas Fault would actually crush into each other, not away from each other. So the land mass would change but it's safe to assume that California is here to stay.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Welcome stranger.
    I am no stranger. I am green_eyed. I can't seem to log in with my regular credentials, so I created a new account.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    And just to add to that,... there are many people who think that a great quake would split California off into the ocean. It's just the opposite though. The plates that form the San Andreas Fault would actually crush into each other, not away from each other. So the land mass would change but it's safe to assume that California is here to stay.
    At most, California would become an island. More than likely, we would get new mountains. Did you hear about the springs and creeks in Napa that were once dry and are now flowing with water?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I am no stranger. I am green_eyed. I can't seem to log in with my regular credentials, so I created a new account.
    Well, Holy Crap! Let me give you a big wet virtual kiss, and when can we get the book thread restarted? Been missing you like crazy! don't tell my wife, ok?
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Well, Holy Crap! Let me give you a big wet virtual kiss, and when can we get the book thread restarted? Been missing you like crazy! don't tell my wife, ok?

XOXOXO

Ok!