Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I use Apple products because they are not vulnerable to security problems <NOT>

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

I use Apple products because they are not vulnerable to security problems <NOT>

If you have not already heard, Apple's iCloud got hacked.

http://news.yahoo.com/apparent-holly...013137802.html

It's because of vulnerabilities like this that I keep all of my pictures of my bellybutton lint collection safely locked up in my home safe.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I don't trust cloud storage, Apple or anyone else.

Why anyone thinks it is a good idea is beyond me. Everyday you hear someone is getting hacked...sooner or later it will all get compromised.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post

Why anyone thinks it is a good idea is beyond me. Everyday you hear someone is getting hacked...sooner or later it will all get compromised.
    Thing is, do you have a bank account that you access online? I think anything that requires signing in with account information is technically, "cloud storage" and as a result is at risk. Whether it's storing pictures, videos, music, or financial data. And you're right, it's all at risk. Thing is, we are all using it in one way or another. It's just part of society now.

Years ago I was taking "Security+" at the college i go to. I started learning some things. One day I went to visit my parents. I was telling my Dad about some of the things I was learning. He told him, "There's no such thing as security". I didn't believe him. In my mind, I thought, "How could that be? Of course there is security. I'm taking a course on security." However, years later I'm learning more and more just how right my Dad was. There is no such thing as security. We create systems to slow down the bad guys but they will never be stopped. If there is something you truly care about, and you put it online, it is at risk. Period.

Another thing, I don't care if it's cloud storage, a personal hard drive, a VHS tape, a CD, a DVD,... heck, even a piece of paper. Everything is at risk of being stolen. There is no way to avoid it. So stuff like this is going to happen. There will always be leaked photos, leaked movies, leaked sex tapes, leaked account information, etc. etc. etc. It's just the nature of the beast.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    There is no such thing as security. We create systems to slow down the bad guys but they will never be stopped.
    I disagree. In theory you can design something completely secure. In practice you have a multitude of people with different skill levels and different levels of understanding the product combined with deadlines - and that produces bad code with huge holes.
    Now Apple products deserve a certain place - they have always been among the first to be pwn3d in hacker contests...

If there is something you truly care about, and you put it online, it is at risk. Period.
    100% agreed.
    There will always be leaked photos, leaked movies, leaked sex tapes,
    I highly doubt that many of these are not intentional. Free publicity.
    Last edited by CeeBee; 09-02-2014 at 01:55 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Cloud storage is useful and very handy, but I certainly wouldn't use it for anything critical or extremely personal. But it is, OK for stuff you don't care about.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Cloud storage is useful and very handy, but I certainly wouldn't use it for anything critical or extremely personal. But it is, OK for stuff you don't care about.
    That is all my dropbox account is used for. Shit I don't care about. Anything personal is backed up on two media types in a fire proof safe.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I disagree. In theory you can design something completely secure.
    LOL. Ok. Good one.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That is all my dropbox account is used for. Shit I don't care about. Anything personal is backed up on two media types in a fire proof safe.
    Agreed. These days, external drives are so cheap you can keep a couple on hand and treat them like tape cartridges. I also have some photographs, etc. backed up on DVD. Web based backup services like Carbonite, etc. may be a final fallback option, but I think their advertising is a little misleading. Files actually aren't backed up in realtime as they are created or edited and restoring data is slow, slow, slow. So, I definitely prefer local storage I can control directly.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Webby, there is a difference between secure and security. Secure is the state in how easily something can be accessed by unwanted entities. It is a sliding scale from completely secure to completely open. Security is the processes utilized in achieving the state of secure that you are wishing to achieve.

I would also say that the bank is different than storing pictures in the cloud. While the bank is not 100% secure, there are those security processes that one can use to restore the integrity of the account(ie return your funds). Once the integrity of the pictures is released, that cannot be returned.

Lar, dropbox is a great tool for sharing files and easily moving them from place to place. But you are right, I would never leave stuff there.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I see security as a scale. At one end of the scale, you have ultimate 100% security with zero usability. For example, I will just completely unplug. Now I'm secure --- secure because I can't actually use it. At the other end of the scale, you have ultimate usability and freedom but no security. So it then becomes up to the user to decide where they want to be on that scale and implement measures accordingly.

For example, about once a month I have a short IT segment at staff meetings to cover the basics. A couple months ago I started talking to the staff about 2 factor authentication. Of course everyone I have ever talked to about this is immediately turned off by the idea of it. On one hand, it's very secure to use it. But it's confusing for many people and so they don't use it. Personally I think it's pretty easy once you use it a bit. But most people are turned off to the idea.

As for iCloud, yes Apple dropped the ball. They can admit it or not but they really could've done more. That said, this is going to be true for every "cloud" company. It's all at risk. The problem them becomes the high value targets. Apple is a high value target and so is Jennifer Lawrence. So it was just a matter of time before something like this happened.

And yes, I agree that bank security is different than Dropbox or something. However, they are both companies that store data on servers that we as users access remotely. We rely on other people to keep our data safe. But then again, bank security doesn't get broken very often but it does get broken. Attackers find ways.