Thread: Taking Spanish

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That was a weird first night. Right as the clock struck six, the instructor started to talk in Spanish. Not just a sentence or two but an entire story. "What is she saying?" I wondered. Two people obviously understood her because they answered back. She briefly went back to English, suggested those two students test out of this course and they left. I think I can safely say 80% of the first night was in Spanish. Huh? The course description said no prior knowledge of Spanish is expected. I thought everyone would be confused but I would look around the room (class of about 10 by the end of the night) and see people nodding, answering her, etc. At one point, she said in English, "What words in Spanish do you know?" Her gaze swept the room but ended on me. No one else answered so I told her I could count to five. All total, I knew about a dozen words. If she had any doubt about my confusion, that should have cleared things up.

We have a group project so I paired up with a former student of mine. He told me he had Spanish in high school and two semesters of Spanish at another university before transferring to this one. He's obviously not the only one with prior experience. He told me it is his senior year and he just wants an easy A.

I tried to do my homework last night but feel completely lost. I will try again tonight. I'm leaving town tomorrow but will be back Saturday evening. I am definitely going to need my wife's help if I am going to get caught up. She had four years in high school and another four in college. People seem to understand her so she must do pretty well.

A co-worker suggested I talk to the instructor and get her to "dumb down" the course to my level. Why would she do that? Then nine people would be bored in order to accommodate me.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    The course description said no prior knowledge of Spanish is expected.
    Then something is quite obviously wrong here. Talk to her and get on a course where the instructor seems to understand the syllabus.