Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Taking Spanish

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Yes, I will have a Midwest American accent but eventually, my fluency (vocabulary, grammar) will be as good as a local.
    You are being unrealistically optimistic. Maybe you don't live among enough immigrants. You can always tell who is an immigrant that came at the age 15-20+
    Learning a foreign language at the age of 40+ becomes a challenge. I see it with many people who emigrated as adults. Different culture, different music, different jokes, different customs. Blending in is not easy, especially if the number of foreigners isn't too high. And then local people know you by "the American", "the black", "the Korean", "the Arab", "the Jew" etc etc.
    No, it's not something I imagine, it's something I have seen.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    You are being unrealistically optimistic. Maybe you don't live among enough immigrants. You can always tell who is an immigrant that came at the age 15-20+
    Learning a foreign language at the age of 40+ becomes a challenge. I see it with many people who emigrated as adults. Different culture, different music, different jokes, different customs. Blending in is not easy, especially if the number of foreigners isn't too high. And then local people know you by "the American", "the black", "the Korean", "the Arab", "the Jew" etc etc.
    No, it's not something I imagine, it's something I have seen.
    You are really overthinking this.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I should take Spanish so I can talk to the cooks at the local Chinese place.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I should take Spanish so I can talk to the cooks at the local Chinese place.
    Sounds like my neighborhood. Border of the barrio and Koreatown with plenty of Vietnamese, a plethora of Muslims and the Polish cultural center just for fun.