Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: home router

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by linkjassyoa View Post
    Thanks for the info here Curious, anything on the horizon or is now a decent time to buy? Im looking to upgrade to AC for my home network. Thanks

EDIT: Following up, I ended up picking up the Netgear R7000 from New Egg while they were offering the Motorola SB6141 combo... totally happy with the router, working great on all bands. Thanks downloads.
    Netgear is always a half decent choice. Cool that its working well. They don't make crap, good choice.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Slow to the party...
    I have the Motorola that started this thread. I actually got reasonably decent range with it, but I had it sitting on a shelf near the ceiling in the center of my house. Then later I configured an older Netgear router into an AP-only only device, set the same SSID and security but different channel, then wired it to the Motorola and sat it at the back end of the house.

One great option is to stalk Amazon and eBay for older Cisco gear. I have a 2106 WLC that I got 2+ years ago for ~$250. I was running 1131s that were dirt-cheap, and then I gradually picked up some 3502i units when people were selling them for $70. The 3502i is a top-notch 802.11n AP. I paired them up with a 2970G switch (~$120) and set them in H-REAP mode to get around the fact that the 2106 only has 100mbps ports.

When I finally decide I need to move to 802.11ac I'll probably do Ubiquiti's distributed AP solution.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I also use Motorola Surfboard but I'll have to change it. I'll definitely try Netgear R7000! Thanks for recommendation!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by FatalException0E View Post
    Slow to the party...
    I have the Motorola that started this thread. I actually got reasonably decent range with it, but I had it sitting on a shelf near the ceiling in the center of my house. Then later I configured an older Netgear router into an AP-only only device, set the same SSID and security but different channel, then wired it to the Motorola and sat it at the back end of the house.

One great option is to stalk Amazon and eBay for older Cisco gear. I have a 2106 WLC that I got 2+ years ago for ~$250. I was running 1131s that were dirt-cheap, and then I gradually picked up some 3502i units when people were selling them for $70. The 3502i is a top-notch 802.11n AP. I paired them up with a 2970G switch (~$120) and set them in H-REAP mode to get around the fact that the 2106 only has 100mbps ports.

When I finally decide I need to move to 802.11ac I'll probably do Ubiquiti's distributed AP solution.
    Well holy shit Fatal, you're still alive! Been awhile. Getting any tube time on the Guadalupe these days?
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Well holy shit Fatal, you're still alive! Been awhile. Getting any tube time on the Guadalupe these days?
    That post of his is a year old. But yeah, hope he's doing okay.