Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are these updates failing?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Why are these updates failing?

My daughter has a Dell Optiplex 745 with a dual core 3.2, 3 gigs of RAM and so forth. The hard drive died so I replaced it and reloaded Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1 included in the install.

After the install, it needed around 140 important updates. I let it download and install them. Strangely, around 14 of them failed. I don't recall anything like this happening before, so I started over again with another fresh install. Same thing happened. This still felt wrong so I used my image to burn a new DVD and installed Windows again. Same thing. This time, I tried to install the previously failed updates. Eventually I got some of them to install either via Windows Update or downloading them individually from Microsoft and manually installing them. I made some progress but of the remaining ones, I still had one that had almost meaningless errors (Code 800B0100, 8007000D, data is invalid, etc.).

Next, I swapped out the hard drive with another one. Everything I just described, happened with the next hard drive too.

Next, I went to Dell and tried to run their diagnostic. For one reason or another, I have not been successful. Either the diagnostic setup fails or Explorer gets an error or Firefox gets an error or whatever.

I'm thinking hardware at this point. I tried to do the memory test built into Windows. I was not watching it run but was not worried because it is supposed to list the results the next time you log in. When I returned to the computer later, Windows was at the login screen. When I logged in, no results.

This computer worked just fine before the hard drive died but I admit, it has been sitting around for a couple months waiting for me to replace the hard drive. During that entire time, it was sitting on my daughter's desk with the error on the screen so I guess something else could have failed while it was waiting for me.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Seems you found the same issue wrrby did.

I ran into a somewhat similar issue updating my Vista machine.

I think it is trying to install progressive patches but doing it in the wrong order. After I updated my machine, I ran the updater again and it updated the same amount of items that failed on the previous go round.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    One thing you can do is find each of those by googling for each KBthing separately. Then after downloading it, you have to right-click and install as administrator and possibly reboot. The problem I've had in the past is that once it gets to this point, it usually doesn't get any better -- hence my previous thread. My problem was that on a certain machine I was working on, this happened right out of the gate. Rare but it happened.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Also, on the recent one I was having problems with, I found a workaround. I also had millions of updates available. Rather than try to select them all and let it go, I just did about 50 at a time. And I tried to make sure they were all the same. So for example, I did all the "security" ones. Then all the ".NET 3.5" ones. And so on until the whole thing was done. I probably rebooted 10 times to get through all that.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Seems you found the same issue wrrby did.
    Are you talking about the Microsoft sucks thread or something else? I just skimmed that one. If that is the one you mean, I will have to go back and read it carefully.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Are you talking about the Microsoft sucks thread or something else? I just skimmed that one. If that is the one you mean, I will have to go back and read it carefully.
    Yeah, I think that is the one. He just kind of cliff noted in this thread what he said in that one.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, I wrote a lot in the MS sucks thread. That could be quite tedious to go back through and reread and I'm not sure it would be very helpful. I think your only option (that I know of) is to Google them one by one and install as administrator. Either that or format and reinstall again but this time only doing a few updates at a time until they are all done. No matter which way you do it though it will be a headache which is exactly why I created the MS sucks thread in the first place. It just shouldn't be this difficult.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I have Googled most of the remaining ones and downloaded them individually. That method helped me install IE 11 and a couple others but most of them have failed with that method too.

I think I might try again but this time give her Win7 Pro. She does not need Ultimate anyway. Honestly, I do not expect this to work any easier but I am willing to try.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, Pro is about all that is needed anyway.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm still messing with the Ultimate install. This is crazy. At one point, I got all the Important patches done but then I tried to install a Recommended security patch. It failed and I suddenly got four Important patches back again. I understand there should be a logical order to this but I should not have to guess my way through it. I tried to install things based on their release date. That certainly makes sense but it did not work. Windows Update should do all this successfully for me. Weird. I should be building my new computer right now but instead I am STILL messing around with my daughter's computer.