Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware reccomendation

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Hardware reccomendation

Ok, so I'm throwing together a video surveillance box for my house on the cheap to record 3 Axis network cams I already have. I'm probably going to use like a Core 2 Duo 2.6 or 3.1ghz with 4GB of RAM depending on what I pick up used and intend to upgrade the RAM (I have some laying around) but my question is on hard drives. I'm most likely going to buy a Western Digital 1TB for the data drive (either the purple or black series since they're rated for this kind of use), but is it worth me putting the money into like a 128GB SSD for the OS drive?

I've worked with SSD and I know how they can improve performance but just not sure if it's worth making the $60-$90 investment in this case for a headless system?
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    For a dedicated surveillance box I would say not worth it.
    Now if you intend to turn it into something getting more use (such as a web server)...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    For a dedicated surveillance box I would say not worth it.
    Now if you intend to turn it into something getting more use (such as a web server)...
    Thanks.......I might do a little more with it like remote into it on occasion or possibly do some torrenting, but other than that probably not.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    My quad core 2.8GHz/4G runs 2012R2 just fine. 3x1GB in RAID5 just because I am using it as central storage for our files, but besides that I'm running a Hyper-V XP machine for torrenting, MySQL, SQL server, Apache, IIS, Weather logger, pool control, HVAC monitoring, backup...
    I don't see the streams from 3 cameras being an issue, hell cheapo devices record 16 channels...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    My quad core 2.8GHz/4G runs 2012R2 just fine. 3x1GB in RAID5 just because I am using it as central storage for our files, but besides that I'm running a Hyper-V XP machine for torrenting, MySQL, SQL server, Apache, IIS, Weather logger, pool control, HVAC monitoring, backup...
    I don't see the streams from 3 cameras being an issue, hell cheapo devices record 16 channels...
    Cool. I'm trying to keep it cheap and there's nothing mission critical at all about it. It's more for me to experiment with than anything.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Ok, so I'm throwing together a video surveillance box for my house on the cheap to record 3 Axis network cams I already have. I'm probably going to use like a Core 2 Duo 2.6 or 3.1ghz with 4GB of RAM depending on what I pick up used and intend to upgrade the RAM (I have some laying around) but my question is on hard drives. I'm most likely going to buy a Western Digital 1TB for the data drive (either the purple or black series since they're rated for this kind of use), but is it worth me putting the money into like a 128GB SSD for the OS drive?

I've worked with SSD and I know how they can improve performance but just not sure if it's worth making the $60-$90 investment in this case for a headless system?
    Buying the parts there is the same cost as buying a system. (259.95) Hell just buy a six camera system and be done with it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PC View Post
    Buying the parts there is the same cost as buying a system. (259.95) Hell just buy a six camera system and be done with it.
    Wow, I guess I never really looked into them or gave that a thought. I just bought 2 Axis cameras off ebay a few weeks ago for about $80 total and now I will be putting another $100 or more into this. A quick amazon search found me a nice 4 camera system with night vision, 500GB DVR, etc. for $200

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Wow, I guess I never really looked into them or gave that a thought. I just bought 2 Axis cameras off ebay a few weeks ago for about $80 total and now I will be putting another $100 or more into this. A quick amazon search found me a nice 4 camera system with night vision, 500GB DVR, etc. for $200
    Yeah but picture quality and wired/wireless are not the same.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    There's a lot of choices out there now. Whenever I walk into Fry's there's a whole section of all these camera systems with varying price ranges.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    http://www.lorextechnology.com/Home-...g=displayPrice

I've done both ways for 3 different bars in the area. 2 are PC and camera setup and one is a Lorex all-in-one system. They both do the job perfectly fine. If i ever have to install another one I'd get an all in one wireless system for $300 and be done with it.
    not so blue