On the way home from Indianapolis, I decided to stop off at a couple antique stores. I did not find any good deals but did find this Navy gun turret at this shop. The shop is on US-31 north of Kokomo almost as far north as Peru.

http://www.frontporchprimitivesindiana.com/

I talked to one of the employees but she did not know much about it. It sounds like shipping to get the gun from the previous owner in Carmel, permits, and the cost of cement for the new base cost more than the gun itself. After they mounted it, the school across the street expressed their displeasure at having a gun pointed at them. I found this funny. Even if the gun worked, would they be able to lower the barrels down low enough to hit the school? Plus, how many antique shops carry live ordinance for a gun like this?

Anyway, she did not know anything about the history of the gun. A customer once speculated it was from the USS Indianapolis but that seems unlikely to me since that ship sank in the South Pacific during WWII. Any Navy vets on have any thoughts about what this gun turret may have been on originally?

Click on each for larger pictures.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg