Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lockheed's Fusion Power Breakthrough Questioned

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Probably cheaper to use straight uranium and they produce useful by-products [for making bombs that is].
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's true, but I still think it maybe qualifies as a conspiracy theory. I live about 20 miles or so from the U.S.'s only nuclear weapons plant, and right now, the major function of the plant is decommissioning nukes (both ours and warheads we have bought from Russia and former Soviet states) and turning them into fuel for conventional nuclear plants. On the one hand this takes nukes out of the hands of folks potentially unfriendly to us, but it also subsidizes the nuclear power industry. I bet we could dig until Doomsday and still have no clue how much money is actually spent on this project.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Probably cheaper to use straight uranium and they produce useful by-products [for making bombs that is].
    That is exactly why they went with uranium initially, you can refine the uranium easier with it, make the right isotope for bombs, which they wanted as the cold war ramped up at the same time nuke plants went online. The thorium reactor, though working and stable and ultimately safer, was shelved as the cold war started.

When the Chinese came over to examine the reactor, the scientists were shocked that they wanted to see the thorium reactor. They are presently building one and other nations are starting to being a race to produce one. So, that's pretty awesome.

Also, there's some kind of conspiracy theory about GE having a monopoly on uranium, or something. Why rock the boat when you are selling material worth more than platinum by the truckload?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Still, it would be a big breakthrough if Lockheed's fusion technology pans out. But, I'll believe it when I see it.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!