Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone code in Python?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Eeek.

I started my project. It is a great language to learn but the learning curve is a bit steep for me right now.

Not to mention I want to integrate my project with excel. Which can be easily done, or so I have read. I don't have excel right now and am not sure I am going to buy it for this.
    Welcome to my world. In an earlier post I think I mentioned I was going to try to take the course this winter. But honestly, I just don't have the energy at the moment. So probably going to bail on it for now. Revisit this in the summer. But yeah, definitely a steep learning curve.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Welcome to my world. In an earlier post I think I mentioned I was going to try to take the course this winter. But honestly, I just don't have the energy at the moment. So probably going to bail on it for now. Revisit this in the summer. But yeah, definitely a steep learning curve.
    I used to be able to teach myself shit like this but now I need a structured course or direction. I mean, job, house maintenance, family...if I go at this blindly I am going to just spin my tires or get Adult I have better shit to do ADD

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I used to be able to teach myself shit like this but now I need a structured course or direction. I mean, job, house maintenance, family...if I go at this blindly I am going to just spin my tires or get Adult I have better shit to do ADD
    Again, welcome to my world. It's tough. I'm freakin drained. I can't sleep for almost 2 years now. I just submitted a 2000 word essay regarding the American Dream and how it relates to individual success and the novel, "The Great Gatsby". And it's not like I just sit down and write that thing out. There's a checklist of things that have to be done for it to be accepted. It's a research paper and requires all the proper citations and references. Put it this way, it took me a half-hour just to get one freaking citation completed. Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent. Just saying, learning shit is hard.

I don't have a family at home so I can imagine that if it's not already challenging enough, that would tip it over the edge. I mean, I'm only part-time taking courses and getting crushed.

The moral of the story is to get this sort of thing done early on because the older we get, the heavier life gets and the harder stuff like this is to do. That said, not saying it can't be done. It can get done. Depends on how badly you want it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Get a book published by O'Reilly. I haven't seen any programming book published by them that wasn't good.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Get a book published by O'Reilly. I haven't seen any programming book published by them that wasn't good.
    Some people do well with just picking up a book and moving along. Then there's others like me who need a course to follow. Especially with something as difficult as learning a programming language. I need other classmates to discuss stuff with, instructor to go to for experienced help, etc.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I will check into that...thanks

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The first thing I learned when I took Basic in college was that I never wanted to be a programmer. I spent some time later learning a bit of Pascal and Microsoft C Basic, but that just reinforced my previous conviction. It amazes me how much Elder Child is into coding.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Watching people read and write code these days reminds me of the raining characters on Matrix and their ability to read them like they are actual images.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The way I see it is that "coding" is a skill just like anything else. It takes years of dedicated practice to get good at it. Getting a chance to do it professionally will speed up the process. But learning programming of any sort can't just be done in a weekend while reading a book. Unless you're a genius, it's just like anything else. It's hard work and takes time and patience and practice. It would be equivalent to picking up a guitar and learning to play. Or maybe deciding to try and learn French. So when people get to the level of being able to rain code like that, it's only because it's become second nature to them. Like the way Kirk Hammett rains heavy metal guitar notes down on us.

Oh wait. What am I talking about? I wouldn't know anything about something like this. I'm just an iSheep who uses a Mac and doesn't know anything about technology. Nevermind...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Watching people read and write code these days reminds me of the raining characters on Matrix and their ability to read them like they are actual images.
    Actually programming these days (mostly done in high level languages) is more like writing a story. If done right variable names and functions are self-explanatory. Code is easy to read by almost any programmer even with having no prior knowledge about the application.
    Now a low-language program is a totally different story, one wouldn't be able to figure out what is going on without knowing that particular instruction set, and even if they did, tracing what is going on can be a huge PITA.