Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone code in Python?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    It takes years of dedicated practice to get good at it.
    TRUE
    Getting a chance to do it professionally will speed up the process.
    TRUE, even more than years of practice
    But learning programming of any sort can't just be done in a weekend while reading a book.
    Not a weekend, but not very long either. If you know one modern language (like c++ or java) you can easily relate to that. After all it's the same concept for the most part. Objects and methods.
    Unless you're a genius, it's just like anything else. It's hard work and takes time and patience and practice. It would be equivalent to picking up a guitar and learning to play. Or maybe deciding to try and learn French. So when people get to the level of being able to rain code like that, it's only because it's become second nature to them.
    TOTALLY DISAGREE. It's like building with bocks. You need to know what you are building before you start. You can reuse some assemblies and alter few things, but if you start building an airplane you can't really turn the wings into the wheels of a bike. Also if you want to build a 6ft tower you can't really start with a single piece at the bottom...
    There are people who catch it really fast because they understand the big picture and that they don't worry about details first. And there are people who will never do it properly because they aren't meant for it.
    If you can express what you want to do in plain English (Chinese, French, Spanish...), to the last detail or you can draw the complete diagram on paper then you can also code it. It's just replacing the words with code.

Code:
    if webby has programming books then
      if webby studies the book to the end then
        webby writes the "Hello world" program
      else
        webby complains that programming is hard
      end if
    else
      webby complains that he doesn't have programming books
    end if
    Code:
    if(webby.library.books.count>0)
    {
      if(webby.study(programming).complete==true)
      {
         webby.write(helloworld)
      }
      else
      {
        webby.complaints.add("programming is hard")
      }
    }
    else
    {
      webby.complaints.add("don't have books")
    }
    Sure this is a fake language, but it would be pretty damn close to a c++/java/c# implementation.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm not saying you need to be a genius to learn it. I believe anyone can learn it. I just meant you need to be a genius in order to learn it in a weekend and be great at it that quickly. Otherwise it just takes hard work and time.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm not saying you need to be a genius to learn it. I believe anyone can learn it. I just meant you need to be a genius in order to learn it in a weekend and be great at it that quickly. Otherwise it just takes hard work and time.
    It takes a good book/professor.
    Although I was fairly good at programming in other languages (plain old BASIC and Z80/i8080 assembly with cracking many copy protection schemes under my belt), I had a VERY HARD TIME with c/c++, especially when it came to pointers and memory addressing - because the professor taught in a way that made no sense whatsoever, at least to me. And asking questions didn't help much as all explanations cam back in a similar way that made sense TO ME. What it took was a professor's assistant that cleared up things in under 10 minutes (I am not kidding) - and everything started making perfect sense...
    And no, not anyone can learn to program (or do it properly). Many people can, but it requires thinking in a certain way. Either you have it or you don't, no amount of practice can change that. But if you can fix a computer then you have the proper thinking pattern unless you go plainly by scripts.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Right. It helps to have aptitude for something in order to get good at it. Although that can depend. A person might have aptitude and never realize it because they had a bad teacher. When I was a kid, I was horrible at math. And maybe I still am. But I have to say, the last 2 instructors I've had have made it make more sense than at any other time in my life. I actually like math now. Granted it's only pre-algebra at the moment. Maybe once it gets more difficult I'll have a change of attitude. But the teachers I've had at the college I go to have made all the difference in the world. Then again, I'm also about 25+ years older now than I was the last time I took classes like that. So my brain is different now too. Lots of things factor in when learning stuff.