Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticketing Software

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Ticketing Software

I know I asked this a while back but that's now part of the old hacked database.

Where I work we get requests for help coming in from all over Europe that cover an absolute mountain of products, both hardware and software related. The 2 departments here that pickup these requests do it in such a bad way that you simply don't know who may have picked up the request and is dealing with it, if it's already been answered and nobody else CC'd in to the reply etc. etc. For example we may get a request for help with a Mac or a color issue which everyone knows I'll pick up, but they don't know for sure, it's just assumed. This also means a lot of questions are repeated because there's no central database of what's been asked or answered.

Basically it's a mess. I've tried before to get the departments to use a better system but had no support from above so both times it's hit a dead end.

Finally something happened last week and basically the sh*t has hit the fan because the request wasn't answered, (surprised it took this long to happen to be fair). A director has come to my boss asking for something to be setup to stop this happening again. My boss is flapping and doesn't have a clue, so I intend to set something up to show him how easy it can be done.

They don't want to pay big $$$ for it either!

So my question is this: What job ticketing software could you recommend for the above scenario? We need cheapo software that can help us track requests for assistance and leave a trail to follow up.

I'm also looking at plugins for VBulletin or IPB forum software because I believe forums are a great way to do this for us and our internal techies throughout Europe.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    We use Footprints, it's a decent ticketing system but from what I've been told it's not very cheap.

Other than that I don't have any experience so I'd say look open source.......you can't beat free!
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    We use Footprints as well. I see where it has strengths, but I hate parts of it. Fortunately I only have to use it when I'm on call, one week every 10 weeks...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    we use trackit here, and it's pretty good. I should be better about documenting my tickets and stuff though.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    we use trackit here, and it's pretty good. I should be better about documenting my tickets and stuff though.
    Trackit sounds familiar, I think it was what I've used before when I used when I worked retail, but maybe that wasn't it. I honestly forget if that's what we used......
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Thanks chaps. Looked at the software you recommended and the cost is eye watering for what we need. Spoke to reps about trackit and footprint, and can't get to a figure even 10x what the Boss wants to spend.

My only other hope is a forum mod/plugin. Currently looking at Nexus from Invision Power Board forums.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    Thanks chaps. Looked at the software you recommended and the cost is eye watering for what we need. Spoke to reps about trackit and footprint, and can't get to a figure even 10x what the Boss wants to spend.

My only other hope is a forum mod/plugin. Currently looking at Nexus from Invision Power Board forums.
    how about something that's php based that you could just throw on a server in house?
    http://www.p-hd.com.ar/eng/index.php

(and if you need an easy to setup out of the box linux server with PHP functionality look at SME server http://contribs.org)

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post

Go open source. I'm sure you'll find one you like and the powers that be will love you for finding something free!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    What about spiceworks? Grover recommended that to me years ago and it's pretty good.

link: http://www.spiceworks.com/free-help-desk-software/

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    What about spiceworks? Grover recommended that to me years ago and it's pretty good.

link: http://www.spiceworks.com/free-help-desk-software/
    Strangely enough I found that this afternoon and was loading it on to a test server when I finished for the day. Will take a good look at it Monday.