Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nothing Can Be Made Foolproof

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Nothing Can Be Made Foolproof

"Nothing can be made foolproof because the ingenuity of fools is limitless" Don't remember where I first read that quote, but it's certainly true. Sounds like Twain, but that isn't important.

A couple of weeks ago, a client called me up with a long list of problems he was experiencing with his computer, all of which screamed "malware!" He brought the laptop in sans power adapter and I immediately said, "I've got a couple of universal AC adapters, but I might not have a tip that works with this machine. I probably need your power adapter."

He replied, "Well, the battery is charged." and I said "Trust me, it will run down before I finish basic testing." Sure enough, I needed his adapter. Called him up said, "Hey, I need the power brick for your laptop." There was a moment of silence, then he asked, "What's a power brick?"

"Uh, that would be the AC adapter for your laptop that charges the battery or powers the computer. Look at the top of your desk. There will be a skinny cable lying there with a round plug on the end. Follow the cable down and you will find a rectangular box about 3x5 inches at the end. It will say "Gateway" on it. Unplug it and bring it to me."

An hour later he shows up with a cardboard file box full of bricks. He's unplugged the adapter for his printer, modem, router, and apparently a couple of devices that have been discarded and hit the trash years ago. "Well, I just didn't know what to bring."

I know many of you folks know people like this, and I'd love to hear the stories.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Many users I have encountered are about as tech savvy as a pumpkin. I try to have some empathy.

My experience is that most techs don't play well with humans. This was one of the big strengths of my business. I broke things down into understandable english, and used humor to defuse tense situations. In the mean time, I was solving their computer problems.

Everyone is good at something.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    Many users I have encountered are about as tech savvy as a pumpkin. I try to have some empathy.

My experience is that most techs don't play well with humans. This was one of the big strengths of my business. I broke things down into understandable english, and used humor to defuse tense situations. In the mean time, I was solving their computer problems.

Everyone is good at something.
    Very well said.

If I think some more about this, I am positive I will come up with some stupid user stories but it is important to remember, no matter how stupid they are with computers, they are probably good with something else.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Oh there are so many, and unfortunately whereas they once made me smile, they now make me bash my head against the desk in a bid to numb the stupidity.... one that does stick out is a call around 1100 one morning. User had made changes to a document, forgotten to save before closing the document, his machine had since crashed and rebooted. Wanted to know if there was anything I could do to get back the work he had done today from last nights backup. When I said that last nights backup wouldn't have any of todays changes as it would have saved the version from yesterday, he asked if it could be recovered from the backup tonight.... it took a few minutes of explaining before he grasped it.

Not really computer related but I did spend 3.5 minutes watching students try to get out through a door with a magnetic lock on without pressing the door release button. It did amuse me on this occasion, I only stepped in when they started talking about smashing a window to get out or ring the police to say that they were trapped....

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Tekboy and Pinnacle-Project, the thread isn't about whether some people are computer savvy or not, or whether they are "good at something", its about laying out clear protocols that some folks just can't follow. Review my initial post. Was I unclear in my instructions about locating the AC adapter for the laptop? I don't think so. Did the client still mess it up? Yeah.

See, that's the kind of post I'm looking for. Folks given clear, comprehensive instructions who still blow it. It's not about whether they have any competency with computers, or if they can write bestselling novels, it's just about their ability (or lack of it) to follow instructions and not screw up.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    it's just about their ability (or lack of it) to follow instructions and not screw up.
    probably 60% of the users I support and 98% of the family members I support (It's only short of 100% because Jamie actually does really well at following directions when she needs computer help)

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Oh man,... where do I begin with my stories.... LOL. I could probably write a book at this point.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Would you mind re-booting your computer for me, please? "Ok should I do it again?. No, let's let it boot up. It will take awhile. Well, it won't boot up again unless I press the button again." Are you pressing the button where the picture is displayed.??? "Well yeah, you told me to reboot the computer."

Get paid by the hour, not a big deal.......

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Tekboy and Pinnacle-Project, the thread isn't about whether some people are computer savvy or not, or whether they are "good at something", its about laying out clear protocols that some folks just can't follow. Review my initial post. Was I unclear in my instructions about locating the AC adapter for the laptop? I don't think so. Did the client still mess it up? Yeah.

See, that's the kind of post I'm looking for. Folks given clear, comprehensive instructions who still blow it. It's not about whether they have any competency with computers, or if they can write bestselling novels, it's just about their ability (or lack of it) to follow instructions and not screw up.
    Merely another example of techs not playing well with humans.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    Merely another example of techs not playing well with humans.
    I believe humans are born with a finite amount of patience. Unfortunately, I seem to have exhausted my supply at about the age of 30
    WIFFLEBALL!