"Nothing can be made foolproof because the ingenuity of fools is limitless" Don't remember where I first read that quote, but it's certainly true. Sounds like Twain, but that isn't important.

A couple of weeks ago, a client called me up with a long list of problems he was experiencing with his computer, all of which screamed "malware!" He brought the laptop in sans power adapter and I immediately said, "I've got a couple of universal AC adapters, but I might not have a tip that works with this machine. I probably need your power adapter."

He replied, "Well, the battery is charged." and I said "Trust me, it will run down before I finish basic testing." Sure enough, I needed his adapter. Called him up said, "Hey, I need the power brick for your laptop." There was a moment of silence, then he asked, "What's a power brick?"

"Uh, that would be the AC adapter for your laptop that charges the battery or powers the computer. Look at the top of your desk. There will be a skinny cable lying there with a round plug on the end. Follow the cable down and you will find a rectangular box about 3x5 inches at the end. It will say "Gateway" on it. Unplug it and bring it to me."

An hour later he shows up with a cardboard file box full of bricks. He's unplugged the adapter for his printer, modem, router, and apparently a couple of devices that have been discarded and hit the trash years ago. "Well, I just didn't know what to bring."

I know many of you folks know people like this, and I'd love to hear the stories.