Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nothing Can Be Made Foolproof

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Just the other day - I forget the particulars, I was helping someone, told them to open up team viewer. OK, it's open, I logged in, start poking around. I'm trying to click on something in particular when the mouse is unresponsive. here is what ensued:

Me: Do you have the mouse?
    Her: Yes, I do.
    Me: Do you want to do this, or do you want me to do it?
    Her: Oh, yes, I'm sorry, you do it.

Sometimes a gentle reminder is enough, Sometimes it just isn't.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    Just the other day - I forget the particulars, I was helping someone, told them to open up team viewer. OK, it's open, I logged in, start poking around. I'm trying to click on something in particular when the mouse is unresponsive. here is what ensued:

Me: Do you have the mouse?
    Her: Yes, I do.
    Me: Do you want to do this, or do you want me to do it?
    Her: Oh, yes, I'm sorry, you do it.

Sometimes a gentle reminder is enough, Sometimes it just isn't.
    That is a pain but thanks goodness for the option to deactivate the remote keyboard and mouse. I can't say the number of times I've had the following conversation. "Ok, I will login and troubleshoot that, please do not use your computer until you hear back from me, should be x minutes approximately. It may seem that nothing is happening as we use tools that do not display on-screen activity."

Two minutes later they are sending email or browsing.

I used to get annoyed, now I just stop and email them asking for a reschedule when I can troubleshoot.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm had to revamp my speech for dealing with end users. Instead of power cycle or reboot, I say turn it on and get into windows, or restart it. Its not amazing, most folks don't know how to work on a car either, and I used to tell nurses that I could not set a bone or rehab someone with a broken rotator cuff. Everyone is good at something. Well, some folks are good at something.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    I'm had to revamp my speech for dealing with end users. Instead of power cycle or reboot, I say turn it on and get into windows, or restart it. Its not amazing, most folks don't know how to work on a car either, and I used to tell nurses that I could not set a bone or rehab someone with a broken rotator cuff. Everyone is good at something. Well, some folks are good at something.
    Let's be totally honest here for a moment and admit that there actually are people who aren't good at anything. In fact, I've known a couple of guys who flunked Remedial Masturbation in high school.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Let's be totally honest here for a moment and admit that there actually are people who aren't good at anything. In fact, I've known a couple of guys who flunked Remedial Masturbation in high school.
    Just curious how you would know that. Did you watch them?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Just curious how you would know that. Did you watch them?
    No, but I had to explain what that big red F on their report card meant. They had always thought it stood for "Fine".
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!